ALL INCLUSIVE IN PLAYA OR NOT?? HELP!!!!!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:54 AM
CARA

ALL INCLUSIVE IN PLAYA OR NOT?? HELP!!!!!

I AM SO TORN BETWEEN DOING ALL INCLUSIVE IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN, AT THE PORTO REAL, OR NOT! ARE THERE PLACES CLOSE TO GO GET A NICE BREAKFAST AND HOW MUCH? I PLAN ON HAVING SOME DRINKS HERE AND THERE BUT WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SNORKEL AND VISIT THE RUINS. MY MIND GOES BACK AND FORTH. HOW MUCH WILL I SPEND ON A MEAL FOR MY HUSBAND AND I WITH A DRINK? I LOVE TO TRY NEW RESTERAUNTS AND IT SOUNDS AS IF THERE ARE MANY TO CHOOSE FROM! MY HUSBAND JUST DOSEN'T WANT TO HAVE TO WALK AROUND FOR AN HOUR TO FIND A PLACE TO EAT. HOW MUCH ARE THE BREAKFASTS AT THE HOTEL IF WE WERE TO EAT THERE WITHOUT HAVING THE ALL INCLUSIVE PLAN?? CAN ANYONE HELP ME? WE ARE GOING THE END OF FEBRUARY! THANKS CARA

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:00 PM
Susan

There are so many good restaurants in Playa that I definitely wouldn't go all inclusive. I believe that Porto Real is the big hotel more or less in town (on the beach), so you wouldn't have to go far to get a meal. As far cost, it depends - you can go cheap or you can spend a lot. We've done both! Re having to walk around for a hour to find a place - the only problem is choice - there are just so many.

We generally don't eat big breakfasts, but the last time we were there, we ended up going to a little place that had the most incredible cinnamon buns and coffee (free refills). We were only in Playa 3 nights and had breakfast there every morning. It was just off Avenida 5.

I know lots of people like AI, but I just can't see it myself, unless you like to eat and drink all day. I definitely prefer the flexibility of not going AI.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:53 PM
d motl

Breakfast will cost $3-6, depending upon where you go and what you order.
Two slices of very filling whole grain toast with jelly and coffee is under $2.
These prices are in town. At your hotel you can expect to get seriously ripped off on just about everything. I say this just from experiance--not because we have stayed at your place.

Evening meals are $6 - $15.

Beer is $1.50 to $2

Mixed drinks are $3
If you like to hit the booze you can save serious $ but seeking out the all day happy hour places

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:57 PM
d motl

Oops -- forgot to say that doing all inclusive is a serious mistake unless you are on a tight time schedule (3 days) or have some physical handicap.
Doing the town is half the fun. You never seen so many bars and restaurants and shops in such a small area.

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 09:20 AM
Roberto

Hello.

I would say NO to all inclusive, there are many and I mean many reasonably priced restaurants in Playa where you and your husband can have a good meal and a dring fro around 25 to 30 usd. For breakfast depending how big you eat you can have a eggs, fruit and coffe by the beach for 6 to 8 usd (check the Colibri's restaurant) or a delicious plate of chilaquiles at 100% Natural in 5th. ave. Best of luck and enjoy!