Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   All-Inclusive Cancun questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/all-inclusive-cancun-questions-378275/)

snh Nov 23rd, 2003 06:53 AM

All-Inclusive Cancun questions

My husband and I are planning a 4-night, Feb '04 trip to Cancun. I have tried to talk him out of the all inclusive because I like being able to try new restaurants and such all the time but I think he is dead set on it (he likes to be able to leave his wallet behind and just relax, I guess I can't blame him). I am wondering if anyone can recommend an all-inclusive that would be a good fit for us based on the following criteria:

1) A variety of dining options. We'd like more than 3 restaurant options to choose from. 24 hour room service is also desired and a minibar in the room, also.

2) Nice beach. We're not much on swimming in the ocean but do enjoy sitting in the sun on the beach and reading. My husband would LOVE to find a place where they serve you drinks right on the beach and in the pool area.

3) Laid back. We're not big into the party scene so something a bit more relaxed is what we are shooting for.

4) This is my request. I think my husband will be spending most of the time at the pool/beach in the sun. I'm more of a walk around and explore type person. If we could find a hotel satisfying the above criteria but possibly ideally located near shopping or some good local restaurants (within walking distance or a short bus/cab ride) perhaps I can persuade him to join me for a bite to eat outside of the hotel and some shopping every once in awhile.

loverly7 Nov 24th, 2003 03:34 PM

The Omni would fit some of your criteria:

1) The Omni gives you two dining choices for breakfast, the indoor La Paloma (buffet style) and the outdoor Pina Colada Restaurant (our favorite). For lunch, you choose between the Pool Bar Grill and the outdoor Pina Colada Restaurant. For drinks throughout the day, you can get any beverage at the Pina Colada Bar, at the Lobby Bar, at the Swim-Up Pool Bar, or at the Oceanfront Jacuzzi Bar. (You actually sit in a jacuzzi, on the beach, at the bar, or you can sit in swings if you prefer.) For dinner, you can choose between the indoor La Paloma (buffet or ask to see the menu items) or Da Vinci (a wonderful Italian restaurant with excellent service). AI includes all 3 meals, all drinks throughout the day, all tips, and I believe it was breakfast for room service. The in-room mini-bar is NOT included, and it is pricey.

2) They have a fantastic beach area, the ocean is a bit rough with big waves in that area, wonderful to watch. They serve you drinks right on the beach, also around the pool area.

3) My husband and I are not big partiers, and we felt very comfortable at the Omni.

4) All you have to do to get out and explore is hop on the bus. It goes right in front of the Omni, and it goes all up and down the strip. There are restaurants, shopping centers, anything you could want. The bus is easy and cheap.

You can view the Omni at www.omnihotels.com then just select the Cancun hotel. You can also get tons of information by going to www.cancun.com Go to the message board, and find out anything about Cancun you could ever want to know.

Regardless of where you decide to stay, have fun!

meiga_28 Nov 24th, 2003 05:03 PM

Hello!!

If you really want to relax and have a great time in a great hotel with the best views, sun and food you should go to the Aventura Spa Palace (www.palaceresorts.com) this resort has the best Spa I ever saw and the service is very nice. Not to mention the rooms, they have a double jacuzzi in each room.
My husband and I just came back from Cancun and stayed there, and probably will do it again in the future.
Good Luck!

TravelByBob_Com Nov 25th, 2003 09:25 AM

The Aventura Spa Palace is not in Cancun, if that is of main concern, however they do offer scheduled shuttle service to Playa del Carmen. 2 other AI's to look into are the Melia (Turquersa & Gran) depending upon your budget. Golden Crown Paradise would be another option, adults only property, has 24 hr. room service.

Blair9535 Nov 25th, 2003 02:52 PM

Royal Hideaway in Playa.It is by far the nicest AI in Mexico if not in the entire Caribbean...and I am not a fan of the AI.I have stayed at a couple of the palace resorts and they are not near the quality of the Royal Hideaway.Also, you can walk to some really neat little shopping booths, etc.within Playacar.Its the only AI to be listed with leading hotels of the world.I think its www.royalhideaway.com.Check it out.

snh Nov 25th, 2003 04:18 PM

I'm glad someone mentioned the Omni as we're leaning towrds it since reading reviews and such from Tripadvisor.com. I think we are going to stay in Cancun and not travel south (I did look into the Royal Hideaway which looks fabulous but perhaps maybe next time.)

If anyone has anything to add about the Omni, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Everyone seems to remark that the food is good and the beach is awesome. The jacuzzi bar sounds neat, also. Lastly, any suggestions on who to book through (we fly out of Detroit)? I'm not finding too many packages that include the Omni (at least the all-inclusive portion). We'd appreciate any advice anyone has to give.

jakeh12 Nov 25th, 2003 08:56 PM

Message: Priceline.com hotel packages, offer air & hotel very cheap at the omni but not all inclusive. From NY it is $700pp incl tax and air, room for 7 nights great deal

loverly7 Nov 28th, 2003 11:37 PM

To snh: www.funjet.com I wasn't sure when you were planning to go, or how long you were planning on staying, but you could take a charter flight out of Detroit departing 6/12/04, stay 7 nights at the Omni AI, including airport transfers, the total for 2 comes to $2825.40. There was also a 4 night charter available, and who knows what all else they have. I used funjet vacations before, and they were great! Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do!