Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

All Inclusive Beach Resort for a Couple of Single Guys

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking around for a place for my best friend an I to go next March. I'm gay and he is straight. We tried Jamaica last March but the Adults Only resort we stayed at was mostly for older folks. We are in our thirties and would be more comfortable with people our age or younger -- as long as it is not a resort designed for families with little kids.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Any AI resort that isn't adults only is going to have kids around. Especially in March which can be spring break time.
Not all adults only resorts are for "older folks". It just depends on who is there at the same time you are... luck of the draw.
So....do you want adults only...what is important to you, beach, pool, etc....do you need night life at the resort....is having lots of food choices important, etc. ????
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
RAC

I would look at smaller, more boutique-like places. They usually draw fewer families.

Though, single 30-somethings aren't generally a huge share of the traveling population in most places--you can find places with a number of people in their 40's and 50's, spring break places for party people in their mid-20's, or family-oriented places for people in their 30's.

More adventurous locations/destinations with physically-intense activities like hiking that draw backpackers and eco-tourists may have a more compatible age group, but it sounds like you're looking more for a classic rest and relaxation location.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Puerto Vallarta would be perfect. All kinds of people go there. The "south-side" especially it very gay friendly. Rather than an all-inclusive "resort" package I'd encourage you to just book a hotel on the beach, so you can experience all the great bars, cafes, restaurants in PV.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM

What Suze said - PV would be perfect for you. You don't need to bother with an All Inclusive because the restaurants in PV are great.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I just don't picture a young straight and gay man in their 30's at most "all-inclusive resorts". By their nature they attract and cater to couples, retirees, families, etc.

You want to be out on your own in a town (just my opinion).
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM

YOu might want to look at a condo or boutique hotel right in Playa del Carmen.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice everyone! I'll look into PV. Yes, nightlife is definitely important to my buddy. He wants a more fun, party atmosphere and would be more comfortable with college spring breakers than older, retiring types.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I second the boutqiue hotel in PdC. Check out Reina Roja or Be Playa. Awesome hotels!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM

PV isn't really "college spring breakers" either. It's a mix of people and ages, all across the board. You CAN certainly find a spring-break type hotel if that's what you want.

But if you don't limit yourself to just one resort property for your entertainment then you don't have to worry about it so much. There are ALL kinds of bars and nightlife in Vallarta, something for everyone.