Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   All inclusive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/all-inclusive-70273/)

Mark Apr 29th, 2000 05:24 AM

All inclusive?

Is it usually best to go with an all-inclusive hotel? We are not big alchol drinkers but we do like to eat well.

Pancho Apr 29th, 2000 07:36 AM

I assume that you are referring to Mexico where the "all inclusives" are quite common. <BR> <BR>The only advantage to an all inclusive is if you drink a lot of alcahol. You have indicated that you do not. <BR> <BR>One of the joys of visiting Mexico is to sample the local cuisine. Eating out at various restaurants will not only give you a better dining and cultural experience but will also be much cheaper.

Sue C May 1st, 2000 03:06 AM

Hello mark. you didn't say where you were going but. This are my views. I personally don't like A/I we travel to Cancun alot and we choose not to go AI because then you are tied down to the resort. You stated that you aren't big drinkers..but you like to eat well. If you go AI you will be eating alot of buffet style dinners and lunches. I would choose not to, this way where ever you are going you can sample their foods and just get out and about. I have heard that the food can get boring very fast. AI doesn't mean the food is great just free and plenty. I just like to do things on my own, especially when I am on vacation..smile. I like to when I want to. If you are going to Cancun feel free to email with any questions you might have.

Darlene Gervase May 1st, 2000 10:30 AM

We stayed AI at the Sun Palace Cancun. I wouldn't do it again. Food mediocre at best and drinks very watered down - nothing fancy either. We ate at Ruth's Chris because we were sick of the resort, food was fabulous but very pricey.

Dennis May 2nd, 2000 09:26 AM

<BR>I don't recommend all inclusives. There are many good restaurants and cafes in all of the towns in Mexico. I have been to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco. Guadalajara, etc. It would be a shame to have to eat your meals (American style buffets) in the hotel when you could be out on the local scene. Much less expensive also.

Carole May 5th, 2000 10:33 AM

Mark <BR>All Inclusives are the worst place for great food. Most are buffet style who wants to eat at the same place night after night. Find a good hotel or villa to stay in and eat at many different restaurants. I recommend the Akumal/Tankah/Tulum area.

Cancun Visitor May 5th, 2000 01:30 PM

Hi Mark, <BR>I'm going to give you another point of view on the AI issue. I have to been to several and IF you choose a top quality resort you may be in for a surprise regarding the food. It can be VERY good. <BR>I have to been to several that had buffets that were absolutely delicious. <BR>And of course there are always ala carte rest. at the better AI's which usually serve great dinners. <BR>Lots of fruit and veggies with lots of selections including chefs cooking their specialties. I have also been to some that weren't so hot. However, the same goes for the restaurants in, say, Cancun. Some are great and unique while some are mediocre and bottom out with fast food. <BR>The availability of a quick snack or some fresh fruit whenever you want it without so much as putting on a pair of flip flops is appealing to me. I don't like to make a big production of eating when I could be snorkeling, sunning or swimming. Also Mexico is very affordable so it's not going to break the bank if you eat off resort several times. Either way, go with a top quality resort...you get what you pay for. Enjoy!

Sunni May 5th, 2000 02:38 PM

Hola Mark! <BR> <BR>I think another consideration is what else the hotel/resort has to offer. Food isn't the primary concern to most travelers. Does it have nice pools? Beautiful sandy beaches? Clean rooms? Good staffing? Activities for all ages? Free excursions? Scuba Lessons? After you've done the ruins, water parks, hiking, shopping, etc..there are days you just want to lounge around at your resort and not go anywhere! Think about what amenities you'll be looking for on those days...don't make a decision based on how much rum is in a drink or whether your dinner is served to you or you put it on your plate yourself. Adios!