Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge (Otavalo) Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This place was our break for three days between the Oriente and the Galapagos (April, 2007), and it fit the bill perfectly.

The villas are unexpectedly spacious, and wonderfully outfitted. Huge LR, DR, Kitchen, and bedroom, enormous shower. The views of the valley and volcanoes from your wrap-around front windows are stunning, and not done justice by the website. It took us a half-hour after arrival just to stop saying “wow”.

To add to the charm, we had a pair of llamas in the lawn outside our villa.

Do be aware that access is by a steep cobbled (& then dirt) road up from town; 4WD seems recommended, if not required.

Heat during the delightfully cool evenings is provided by a woodstove, which is regularly stocked and serviced by the staff.

Breakfast and dinner are served at the main building (a short uphill walk from the villas), and are thoroughly satisfying. Entrees included lamb curry, vegetarian lasagna, chicken and rice, and were always accompanied by good soup, organic salad (washed from local tested spring and friendly to sensitive tourist stomachs), and dessert. Alcohol is available at a reasonable supplement.

The property is a long walk to Otavalo – really, you’ll want a ride down – perhaps with the always amiable owner, Frank. He took us down every morning, or at least met our taxi half-way if we were planning more distant destinations. We highly recommend touring the local weaving villages – Agato & Cotacachi. Woodworking at San Antonio de Ibarra was less inspiring.

Of course the main attraction is the craft market in Otavalo. We went first on Thursday, when the activity and scale is ratcheted back a lot, and again on Saturday for the cultural and photo-op experience. This strategy worked great for us, and we made a majority of our purchases Thursday at lower prices and then felt less pressure during the crazier and more crowded Saturday market. One note, on Thursday the vendors are waiting around for customers, and are aggressive – almost every one of them will verbally solicit your business, but a polite smile and “no, gracias” suffices. On Saturday they are so busy that you will not have to deal with this factor nearly as much.

Frank will drive you down early Saturday morning to the large animal market (talk about a cultural experience!), and then to his other Otavalo downtown hotel, Ali Shungu, for breakfast and a home base during the day. Also, don’t miss the produce market – lots of local color and photo opportunities.

This is a beautiful spot to unwind and enjoy the local culture, at a very reasonable price – highly recommended!
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Sounds wonderful.

Could you kindly answer some questions?

How did you get there? by taxi? Does Frank do pickups from Otavalo?

Is there a range of accommodation or just "villas". I will be travelling alone.

How much does it cost?

How did you book? is there a website?

Many thx. Your comments on the markets were much appreciated too.

Cheers.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

The website is:

http://www.alishungu.com/MountainLodge/index.html

Ali Shungu arranged a taxi for us from the Quito airport to Otavalo. They even sent a packaged lunch along with the driver for us (at our request), so we wouldn't need to stop anywhere. We asked the driver tp take us 1st to Mitad del Mundo, which is 20km out of the way and where he waited 30 minutes for us, then 2 hours back to Otavalo. I think the fare was $75 + tip (would have been $55 w/o Mitad del Mundo).

The taxi would normally take you right to the lodge, but recent rains had left the final steep approach a bit muddy, so Frank met us at that point in his 4x4 to take us the last 2 minutes up the hill.

There are 4 villa's, and they are all the same. They are huge even for a couple, so why not for a solo traveler?! I think that with tax they cost about $140-$150 per night, but check their website.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM

My wife and I were married in Ecuador and we took our families up to Otavalo for a 4 day stay with Frank and the Ali Shungu gang. This was back in 2000 when they had a lovely Bed & Breakfast in "downtown" Otavalo; so I cannot comment on their newer Mountaintop Lodge.

Frank is a US expat who escaped down to Otavalo a few decades back. The guy has a heart of gold and, lucky for us, runs an exceptional business. He incorporates only local art, building construction and labor with a great eye for detail. In fact, Frank and his wife sponsor at least one local employee for college-level education each year. (Most go back to work for Ali Shungu even though they are not entitled to do so.)

No question - you are not going to get better hotel / B&B / travel help treatment in the region. Both the Ecuadorian side of my family and the Minnesota bunch agreed that Frank and the folks at Ali Shungu took exceptional care of us.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Frank and Margaret are wonderful people. I agree with the assessments here. The lodge or the in-town hotel are real finds in Otavalo.