Search

Akumal Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akumal Trip Report

Just returned from 5 days in Akumal, stayed at Vista Del Mar condos on Half Moon Bay. Enjoyed the space of the condo but the minuses were the rocky beach (just in the water) and the lack of a close swimming pool. We had a 3 bedroom which was on the first floor & opened right on the beach, that was great!! We went to Yal-ku a couple of days, great snorkeling & went to the beach at Akumal a couple of days. Ate at La Buena Vida, Lol-Ha (outdoors) & La Lunita which was very nice. We rented a car in Cancun & the drive down was fine, although the wait to get the car was lengthy(Hertz).
We will look into staying on Akumal Beach if we go back.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Hi Betsy,
We're staying at Vista Del Mar in June. I've read that the beds are extremely hard! What was your experience? We'll be staying in condo #1 on the first floor.
Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Hi Betsy,

Thanks, nice report.

We are headed back in May and can highly recommend the Hotel Akumal Caribe on main Akumal bay. They have a nice pool and are beachfront.

Or if you want to go the condo route, I think the only ones on the main bay are Las Casitas.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

highflyer - personally, I didn't have any problems with the beds, in fact slept much better there than at home. But after a lot of sun, swimming & pina colodas---.We did go to bed early though & would wake up early (6 am) when the birds started chirping (very loud). We were in B on the first floor, nice to be right on the beach. I did take cheap blow up floats for the kids, which they enjoyed.
Jaime - do you know the names of any properties further south on Akumal Bay?
We hung out at the beach in front of Hotel Akumal CAribe a couple of days & it looked like there were other accomodations further south, past Akumal Beach Resort.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

highflyer - FYI, the couch in the living room is extremely hard, a cushion on concrete. Would not try to sleep on that!! Definitely go to Yal-Ku & we were able to walk into town in about 13 minutes. I'll be interested to hear if you saw the turtles as it should be nesting season.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I'm hoping to see turtles! We're planning trips to Coba and Tulum to see the ruins plus lots and lots of snorkeling. We'll have a car and will definitely go to Yal-Ku and a few cenotes.

We've been to Chichen Itza so the longest trip will probably be to and from the airport!
I'll write a report when we get back (July 1st) and I'll look into accommodations further south too.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Hi Betsy,

Once you get past ABR, do not think you are on Akumal Bay any longer, check the aerial maps on Logogringo.com, we booked with them several times including this upcoming trip for the Hotel Akumal Caribe.

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/map-index.html
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Jamie,
It looks like Jade Bay is the next bay & according to locogringo, rocks in the water?
Betsy
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Yes, Betsy...all those dark spots are rocks, turtle grass or coral in the water.

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/jadebay-1-t.html

Here's what a rock-free beach looks like on the aerial:
http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/165a-t.html
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Yeah, but rock-free crystal clear water usually means no snorkeling