Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Al Cielo Hotel on Xpu-ha Beach, Quintana Roo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/al-cielo-hotel-on-xpu-ha-beach-quintana-roo-199490/)

belgian85 Jan 5th, 2004 01:47 PM

Al Cielo Hotel on Xpu-ha Beach, Quintana Roo

Has anyone heard of this place? We're thinking of staying there this month.

johnfoam Jan 12th, 2004 01:40 PM

Hey belgian85, did you ever find out anything about this place? I can't seem to find any info accept for what is on their website. Is this place legit?
John

johnfoam Jan 12th, 2004 01:41 PM

And I do know how to spell except :-)

belgian85 Jan 13th, 2004 09:16 AM

Yes, I reserved it through bettervacations.com I'll post when I get back at the end of January

belgian85 Feb 6th, 2004 02:45 PM

I just got back from 4 days at the Al Cielo hotel in Xpu-Ha beach south of Playa del Carmen. The hotel has 4 rooms and a covered outdoor restaurant. The staff is extremely friendly and the beach is awesome. This is not a hotel for someone who needs a tv, telephone, etc. I loved this place.

MightyIsis May 11th, 2004 12:07 PM

hello belgian85 -- can you tell us some more about Al Cielo?

Did you rent a car to get there, or take some kind of transportation from the airport?

Also, is it relatively isolated from the nearby large all-inclusive resorts or does one feel like they are looming over you?

Did you eat exclusively at Al Cielo, or were there other dining options nearby?

I thank you so much for your time. We are considering visiting here next March.

belgian85 May 15th, 2004 03:20 PM

You'll need to rent a car to get there. It's about 15 minutes south of Playa del Carmen. By the way, the cheapest way I found to rent a car is to go to www.costco.com and click on the travel tab and then the car rental one. You don't need to be a costco member.

There are 2 all-inclusives both about a half mile away. The only distraction from them is the people walking past the hotel on the beach.

We ate both at the Al Cielo restaurant (awesome food) and also in PDC.

The hotel does allow non-hotel guests to use the beach facilities for a fee, but except for the weekends, the beach was all ours.

We were thinking of going to the Shangri-La in PDC, and it was pretty nice, but it didn't compare at all with Al Cielo. The beach in PDC is very narrow and the beach chairs were stuffed 4 deep at the Shangri-La. It didn't look like in the pictures.

pepper131 May 16th, 2004 09:01 AM

Can you tell us more...? Do you think a family 4 could fit into one of the lower rooms?
And what about the heat? You went in Jan, but we're thinking about Aug.
What were the food prices like and did they have anything for a 10 year old boy - if you know what I mean - hotdogs, nachos, etc.
Can you really swim out to a reef from the shore to snorkle? The beach looks super clean - no rocks, grass, anything...true?