Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Akumal or Puerto Adventura? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/akumal-or-puerto-adventura-653725/)

moo Oct 18th, 2006 06:39 PM

Akumal or Puerto Adventura?

Planning a trip in late March. Have been to Cancun many years ago and heard that the southern coast is now the place to be. Would like to rent a house somewhere in the area of Puerto Aventura or Akumal. Any suggestions? Is one resort area more accommodating than another (restaurants and things to do? Should we rent a car? How are the beaches? Please inform me. Thanks!

jamie99 Oct 19th, 2006 02:23 PM

IMO Akumal hands down. We have stayed there at least 5 times. This last trip we visited Puerto Aventura for lunch and to see Dolphin Discovery (very depressing) and the CEDAM dive museum. Way too built up and too much concrete for us, and there is more construction underway. Some people like it, just not my cup of tea. There is a marina there.

virginia Oct 19th, 2006 03:34 PM

take a look at www.locogringo.com

blondlady Oct 22nd, 2006 11:32 AM

When we stayed in Akumal several years ago, the snorkeling at Yal Ku lagoon was free and so was parking. I think I read that has changed. It was also underdeveloped and very charming. Puerto Adventura was just being built and looked like a huge resort you would find in the States. There was a small store and a good restaurant at Akumal. We stayed in a duplex and walked out the front door to the ocean. Very nice. I would rent a car so you could do a day trip down as far as Tulum and Coba. It would be a shame to be so close and not go there.

colokid Oct 22nd, 2006 12:29 PM

Yal Ku has come a long way from the days when it was free. There is a parking lot, bathrooms, snorkel rental and many statues placed throughout. I think I paid 7 or 8 dollars per person in June. Plan to get there early. Puerto Aventuras is much different than Akumal in that it is a planned community around a marina with dolphin discovery (:(), many restaurants, shops, condos, golf course and the Omni resort.

AlwaysDreamin Oct 25th, 2006 06:09 PM

Like others in this thread, Akumal is our choice - Puerto Adventuras is a little too "Americanized" for us. Almost every condo/villa in Akumal is directly on Half Moon Bay and the water. THis is not a swimming beach, however, as there are lots of rocks - but the snorkeling is out of this world. A very short drive up the road takes you to AKumal Bay, a beautiful swimming AND snorkeling beach. We swim with turtles on every trip.

Definitely rent a car for little side trips and to visit the grocery store, etc. There are 5-7 restaurants in Akumal, but all are not walking distance. Enjoy! THis is one of our favorite retreats!

mrfreeze Oct 26th, 2006 08:25 PM

Akumal is a good choice, have been there two times, stayed at vista del mar condo
Being that my wife is from Merida, it is only four hours drive from there. went there with some of my wifes family, 7 adults, 3 children in a 3bdr, 3bath rental, right on the beach, very reasonable in low season.
Driving is a bit tricky, the only times we use the car is to go to playa del carmen for groceries, they have a big supermarket.
If you love to go swimming as I do,Xel Ha is well worth the 20 dollar entry.
Buen Viage

Bill