Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Akumal condo: Akumal Bay or Half Moon Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/akumal-condo-akumal-bay-or-half-moon-bay-564169/)

nnancy Oct 12th, 2005 05:04 PM

Akumal condo: Akumal Bay or Half Moon Bay

We are trying to make a decision on a condo in Akumal. We are between Luna Azul or Playa Caribe on Half Moon Bay or Las Villas Akumal on south Akumal Bay. We prefer the condos in HMB but I've read the beach is very rocky and shallow. Great for snorkeling, which we can probably do anywhere in the area, but our teens love to swim and probably don't want to wear swim socks.

It sounds like HMB is quieter than the Akumal Bay area also. Can anyone compare the beach areas of these properties? Any pro's and con's welcomed.

Which area is closest to restaurants?

Thanks.

pepper131 Oct 12th, 2005 06:50 PM

I can't really compare them because I have only snorkled in Akumal Bay (which was wonderful). But I have looked at the satellite photos on locogringo.com and it looks like the HMB villas would be better than the S Akumal Bay villa - which is actually in Jade Bay and is rockier looking than HMB.

I don't know that you will find any good swimming in Akumal - like with wave action, etc.
Swimming is better in Tulum which is where we always stay. Or you can go to Caleta Tankah and spend the day there.

You may want to post this question on locogringo.com since many people on their forum stay in Akumal and are familiar with the different villas and beaches. And as a bonus, you can also book with them.

zootsi Oct 13th, 2005 06:15 AM

We were in Akumal last winter and visited both beaches. HMB is quieter with just a few small hotels and condos. You definitely need some type of foot protection getting in the water as the bottom is covered with coral, jagged rocks and seaweed. However, once you are in, it is an amazing snorkelling spot. Our favorite restaurant, the Buena Vida, overlooks the south end of HMB.
Akumal Bay is more the 'classic' carribean white sand beach. It's calm and clear, and the bottom is nearly all sand. There are considerably more people here, but it's not too crowded. There are walk up restaurants and some large resorts along the beach.
No matter which area you stay at, they are only a 15 minute walk from each other.

nnancy Oct 14th, 2005 11:14 AM

Thanks for the responses. HMB fits the bill for everything - except the sandy beach for swimming which is the most important thing to the kids. I'm back to square one. Can't find anything on Akumal Bay where the beach is sandy. We don't want to stay in Tulum because we'd like a condo with electricity.

cdt Oct 14th, 2005 11:50 AM

I vastly preferred Akumal Bay to Half Moon. Very hard to find a sandy spot to enter the water at Half Moon. Way too rocky for my taste.

Have you checked out the condo listings at locogringo.com? You could also consider some of the areas between Akumal and Tulum, like Soliman or Tankah bays.

zootsi Oct 14th, 2005 11:55 AM

Let me clarify - I didn't mean to scare you away from HMB. The actual BEACH is white sand, great for lounging under a palm tree or beach walking. It's only getting into the water that's tricky.
Have you considered Playa del Carmen? Great sandy beach, lots to do, lots of lodging options.

nnancy Oct 14th, 2005 01:33 PM

I think I'd prefer the laid back atmosphere in Akumal over Playa. Will also take a look at Soliman or Tankah Bay. Thanks to all.

AlwaysDreamin Nov 12th, 2005 08:35 AM

Take a look at Las Casitas on Akumal Bay - they are our favorite. I think their website is lascasitasakumal.com. These are gorgeous 2BR 2Ba condos right on the bay. There is a little walkway to the beach and very nice snorkeling right our your front door.