Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort

My 11-year-old daughter's spring break is just around the corner and I'd like to cobble together an easy trip from NYC. I don't think I've ever been to an AI but, based on comments on this forum, this hotel looks promising. We are looking for:

Nice, swimmable beach, ideally with some on-site snorkeling.

Activities other than the on-site snorkeling, activities that do not come with a steep price tag.

Decent food with a few choices.

Walkability.

I figure I can book a tour to some cenotes or the like. And maybe we can spend a night or two in Valladolid before heading home.

What are arguments in favor of and against this venue? If we go, how many days should a mother/daughter duo spend here?

Thanks as always. You guys are the best.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:05 AM

Never been to this resort, but every year we stay right down the beach at the Akumal Caribe, a non-AI. The beach along here is a 10 - sandy, calm, very good for snorkeling and swimming. You are less than a 1/2 hour drive to the Tulum ruins, and the Tulum pueblo (great fun to walk around). The massive Coba ruins deep in the jungle are about an hour away. There are cenotes everywhere along rte 307.
Yal-Ku lagoon, a nice snorkeling spot, is close by in Akumal. Renting a car (driving is easy) is a good idea, but there are all kinds of tours available. Vallidolid is a pleasant, very Mexican feeling little city not too far from Chichen Itza.
I can't think of any downsides, Akumal is a perfect spot for an 11 year old.