Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Airport Rendezvous in Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/airport-rendezvous-in-cancun-1643958/)

ibz40 Jan 2nd, 2018 03:40 PM

Airport Rendezvous in Cancun

5 of us are flying in from different locations to Cancun next week (to go to Isla Mujeres.) All are on American Airlines and Southwest. I see more than one terminal and I don't know what terminals we land at- assuming an international terminal. Any suggestions for the best place for us to rendezvous? Would it have to be after clearing immigration?

Thanks!

Bitter Jan 3rd, 2018 08:13 AM

If I remember correctly, it is a tiny airport. Once you clear customs there is a hallway where you could hang out, but there were some annoying tour/timeshare operators there. Or make a point of meeting at the bar outside (if it is still there, maybe used to be called Coconuts).

suze Jan 3rd, 2018 08:13 AM

<Would it have to be after clearing immigration?>

How far apart are the flights?

I am going to guess yes.

I am only familiar with Puerto Vallarta but you clear immigration immediately after getting off the plane with the rest of your group. You could maybe stall 10 minutes or so but it would look kind of suspicious to be hanging around at that point.

Is there a reason you'd want to try to wait *before* clearing immigration, baggage claim, and customs? Rather than just meet at an airport restaurant or other designated spot?

schmerl Jan 3rd, 2018 09:05 AM

I'm pretty sure Southwest in using the new Terminal which is Terminal 4. I'm not sure about American, but the airline should be able to tell you. Go through immigration and then meet at one of the restaurants. Here are some of the restaurants in that terminal:
Air Margaritaville

Star Island Cafe

Wolfgang Puck Kitchen

Wolfgang Puck Kitchen Counter

Sushi Tequila

Starbucks (before security and after)

Heineken

Pere Cazala

Johnny Rockets

Guy Fieri’s

Guacamole Grill (before and after security)

Hacienda Montejo

Bitter Jan 3rd, 2018 09:08 AM

"If I remember correctly, it is a tiny airport. Once you clear customs there is a hallway where you could hang out, but there were some annoying tour/timeshare operators there"

I must have only been familiar with one terminal, as there appears to be more to this airport than I ever say.

https://www.cancunairport.com/index.html

MmePerdu Jan 3rd, 2018 09:19 AM

It appears AA is at T-3 and SW at T-4. It looks like there's a Starbucks near an exit/entrance in T-3 (Google maps has "streetview" inside the terminal!), maybe a logical spot?

jamie99 Jan 3rd, 2018 01:45 PM

There are indeed 4 terminals at Cancun airport now. How far apart are your flights? I would not wait more than an hour, and have a Plan B in case your flights are delayed for whatever reason. My plan B would be to meet up at your lodgings on the island.

tom42 Jan 4th, 2018 09:57 AM

can't help you with your question but have fun in Isla Mujeres. I loved it when I visited last year. Considering going back again this summer.

Rohelio Jan 4th, 2018 10:15 AM

Yes, there are indeed 4 major terminals now in Cancun and schmerl has provided some very good areas to meet, just be sure to steer clear of all the time share and rental offers while exiting the terminal, whoever said that Cancun is a tiny airport is wayyyy out of date !

docdan1 Jan 8th, 2018 07:04 PM

WE recently had this problem and the above advise is correct at this time. SW is T4 and AA is T3. The solution is for the party with the earlier arrival time to plan on grabbing the shuttle bus to the other terminal and stay at the STARBUCKS of the second terminal, that is, the Starbucks inside where the ticket counters are. (Not the Starbucks next to the gates). The other party ( or parties) then just exits their own terminal and looks for the Starbucks in their terminal, where the first party should then be waiting. The key here is to completely come outside the terminal, and then circle back towards the departure area is, where there is an entrance to the ticketing area. Usually, outside of that door, is a sign for the shuttle. If you look lost before leaving the terminal, some hombre will tell you you can only take a taxi to the other terminals ( I can only assume there is a kickback for this lie; it is false) I recommend the Starbucks only because they are always located in easy view of the entrance to the ticket counters, so it is a reliable reference point. ( If you all decide to meet at another establishment that you are sure that will exist upon your arrival, that's fine)