Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Airport Hotel in San Jose (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/airport-hotel-in-san-jose-765506/)

IndieFeduniw Feb 3rd, 2009 06:51 PM

Airport Hotel in San Jose

What hotels do you suggest for a quick overnight near the airport?

volcanogirl Feb 4th, 2009 04:06 AM

Orquideas Inn is very popular; we stayed at Grano de Oro and liked it.

qwovadis Feb 4th, 2009 04:20 AM

www.puravidahotel.com

www.adventure-inn.com closest

or

www.thealtahotel.com

www.xandari.com

if budget is good...

Marco13 Feb 4th, 2009 04:27 PM

Orquideas Inn is nice. It's a good 15 minutes from the airport, and you'll never find your way in the dark without a GPS. They can arrange a taxi.
We stayed in the mid-range garden rooms (don't go for the roadside room -- noisy). But the ones up on the hill look a bit nicer. Not sure how much more they are. Breakfast was great, grounds are nice.

hipvirgochick Feb 4th, 2009 07:23 PM

I like Orchideas Inn. Aventure Inn is just ok. Hotel Villa Bonita is even closer and great.

shillmac Feb 4th, 2009 07:23 PM

Agree Orquideas is a good choice. We DID find our way after dark thanks to excellent directions from the hotel and a little luck perhaps. GPS would make it easier, no doubt.

We also REALLY like Hotel Villa Bonita for the $$. Locally owned B&B, very quiet, about $50 per night, free wifi, internet, bathtubs in some rooms, great breakfast, friendly owners. 5 min. from airport.

www.hotelvillabonita.com

Keith Feb 5th, 2009 09:14 AM

I was also happy with Hotel Villa Bonita. The price was right and the people were friendly.

I stayed there my first and last nights, leaving my notebook computer with them so I wouldn't worry about it being stolen during the rest of the trip.

They have secure parking.

Keith

volcanogirl Feb 5th, 2009 09:47 AM

hip and shillmac, do you guys like Villa Bonita or Orquideas Inn better? If you could only pick one, which would be your preference?

shillmac Feb 5th, 2009 05:43 PM

For me, volcanogirl, it's Hotel Villa Bonita. The young couple there are good friends of ours, but that isn't the reason. Okay, it's certainly PART of the reason.

Use of the computer, it's a B&B, so like staying in a home--going into the fridge at midnight or 2:00 a.m. or whenever to get something to drink on the honor system. We love the #1 room with the huge closet, bathroom with tub. Very basic, but comfortable, you know?

My husband likes to walk a few blocks over for a $2 haircut. We walk 1/2 block to the farmacia. Or stroll down the street to the park/square. Or over a block or two for dinner.

We always leave stuff there as we travel and know it will be safe (have done this at Orq. too). Humberto will schedule any tour/car/whatever you want--or arrange to take you himself, and he is an excellent guide.

5 min. from airport. Closer to Heredia--we have friends we visit over in that directions--it takes forever to get there through Alajuela when we want to go back and forth to their house for an evening visit.

Hotel Villa Bonita is in a safer area. Orquideas has a great bar/restaurant and is right on the road to Poas, handy if heading THAT way the next a.m. From Villa Bonita, you can get out of town very easily and on your way toward Poas as well, by a different road.

Sometimes we drive over to Orquideas for dinner/drinks in the evening--from Hotel Villa Bonita. We know that road pretty well by now!

For us, it's best. By the way, Humberto and Carmen won't be there much longer. They are moving back to Turrialba (where both are from) and going into guiding/tour business as well as another venture. We are in the process of buying/building in that area, so are glad that they will be close. They are such a nice young couple. They are the best of Costa Rica--Pura Vida!

volcanogirl Feb 6th, 2009 02:30 AM

Thanks, shillmac - will VB still stay in operation?

cmerrell Feb 7th, 2009 10:13 AM

You're actually buying down there, Jill? That's very exciting! I'm sure it's something you've considered many times since you first became enamored of Costa Rica.

For the o.p. We enjoyed Orquideas Inn on our last trip. I would also certainly trust the rec for Villa Bonita. :-)

shillmac Feb 7th, 2009 01:12 PM

Yes, we are doing it, Cam! Buying 2 acres from the couple who own Rancho Naturalista. We really think that area is just perfect for us.

vg--I don't know, but I'm thinking the hotel will remain in business. It has just recently gotten to the point (in the last year and a half) of being booked almost all the time. A good business for someone. Humb. and Carmen are ready to be free to expand with their expertise and business savvy.

cmerrell Feb 7th, 2009 03:00 PM

Congrats, Jill! That's very cool! :-)

volcanogirl Feb 9th, 2009 08:01 AM

Yes, congrats - that's really wonderful!

Shooie Feb 10th, 2009 08:22 AM

Shillmac, how long does it take you to get to Rancho Naturalista from the airport? Do you go through San Jose?

tropicstraveler Feb 10th, 2009 12:27 PM

Hotel Villa Dolce - Frente Rancho Maba - El Coyol, Alajuela , 5 minutes from airport. Have used on all 3 trips to CR. Clean; rooms under $60 (negotiable if you have cash!)See website www.villadolce.com

shillmac Feb 10th, 2009 04:04 PM

From the airport, about 2 hours. We usually catch a public bus out of San Jose. We've yet to take a car there. Yes, you do go through San Jose. Right straight through on Avenida Segundo, following signs toward Cartago.

shillmac Feb 10th, 2009 05:16 PM

Need to clarify. That time estimate is to Turrialba. From there it is an additional 20-30 minutes up to Rancho Naturalista. You go past C.A.T.I.E., then through La Suiza and Tuis. Another cool hotel in that area is Casa Turire. . .beautiful there.