Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Airfares from JFK to Buenos Aires: What Are They Like Usually?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm checking JFK-EZE for mid October. AA has direct flights for around $1270. Does this sound reasonable? What kinds of fares do people usually pay? I've only been to S. America once, to Sao Paulo. I guess I should check how much I paid that time.

Thanks.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM

That's quite reasonable, at the present time, considering the price of airline fuel nowadays.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

The ticket is now around $1400. Are there travel agents that specialize in Argentinian travel who are worth calling?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM

If you mean travel WITHIN Argentina, the travel agent I usually recommend is Isabel.

Check her out by writing her name in this forum's search feature.

If you are talking about international flights FROM the USA, I don't know, as I am a local, but just a little research should yield several names.

If you don't mind one or more stops, check out: http://www.lan.com/country_selector.html

You'll have a great time in our country.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I prefer non-stop obviously. I think AA is the only airline to go non-stop to Argentina. Thanks for the tip for Isabel. I'll have to buy tickets for Iguazu Falls too.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM

I forgot to say that Isabel, who is very good, could be swamped for your travel dates.

Should that be the case, tell me so and I'll try to think of someone else.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Well the ticket is back up at $1500. Oh dear. I guess I'll probably have to wait. It's less than 6 weeks before departure. I assume that it's unlikely for fares to go down? Is this high season for travel to Argentina?
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM

Also try DL/Lan combo with 1 stop connection in ATL for about $1100.

I don't know if you're set on JFK, but there are other options such as direct (meaning 1 stop but NO change of planes) from EWR - IAH - EZE for $1200 on CO. [as you probably know "direct" does not mean "nonstop" in airline speak].
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM

I'd say mid-October is the beginning of high season for travel to our country from the US.

If you feel the price has gone up too much, you may have to settle for one of those direct, but NOT non-stop flights.

Do not wait too long, 111op, you'll have a great time in our country.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM

Look at Delta. They are commencing non stop JFK-EZE flights in the near future, but I'm not sure exactly of the date.

I too have now seen that winter flights to EZE are substantially more this year than last year, to the tune of a few hundred dollars per ticket. As mentioned, the non stops are really American and Delta. Continental has a through flt via Houston, which is also easy.

In addition, once you are looking around, also take a look at Aeromexico. They have a flt that goes through Mexico City and I believe its an easy connection and both legs of the flight are at least in the "right direction." Aeromexico is a good line.
COPA also has flts to EZE, via Panama.

Good luck. I too need to do some searching.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of my miles are on AA, so I prefer to stick to AA, especially since that seems to be the only non-stop option.

Also to fly on a 1-stop flight, I may not have enough time to get to the airport after work that Friday since I may have to fly earlier to make a connection.

I will look into the CO option, thanks. I think I can accrue CO miles on Delta and I have miles there also.

Delta flights came up on Orbitz and lessno, but I didn't see any non-stop options. I'll check their website directly.

I did find that if I leave that Saturday night instead, then the fare drops back to around $1270, when I first checked. So it's about $200 cheaper.

However because the redeye on Sunday doesn't give me enough time to get back to work on Monday, I have to take the redeye on Saturday, most likely. So if I leave on Saturday I won't have a full weekend there. I'm interested in checking out some nightlife, so I think that I should try to get there on a Saturday.

Unless you're telling me Buenos Aires is always hopping!

Now, regarding Iguazu Falls, I assume that it's probably ok if I buy separately? Or will I save some money if I buy this together with the ticket to Buenos Aires? I don't think that I've thought through my itinerary yet though, so I'm not sure if I know when I want to go there. I probably shouldn't buy that part right now unless there's a huge saving.

Thanks again!

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:01 AM

We bought our domestic flights within Argentine using a local travel agent in Buenos Aires and saved 2/3 of what we would have paid had we booked the tickets ourselves. Avrooster has already provided you with one name. We used Mayra Brill (got her name from this board) - if you do a search on the board, you'll find contact information if you want to use her.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:40 AM

eenusa: about your "We bought our domestic flights within Argentine using a local travel agent in Buenos Aires and saved 2/3 of what we would have paid had we booked the tickets ourselves." may I ask when was this, because I don't think it is possible any more.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

I have good news! The ticket for 10/10-10/18 on AA dropped to $1247 on Orbitz, so I just snapped it up!

Just tells you -- sometimes patience is key. I always think that buying a ticket is like buying a stock.

I'll be back to ask for trip planning advice soon. Thanks again everyone!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd be iunterested in hearing how and when you were able to get a discount for flights within ARG. Last trip to ARG we got a discount by using a TA, this has so far not proven to be the case with my upcoming trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Watch it, fellow Argentina forum regulars, because the OP is a phenomenal trip report writer.

We've got to do our best to help him have a great trip, so he'll help us promote Argentina.

Ask away, 111op!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, av! I've been mildly disappointed that I've not yet been quoted by Fodor's. But I'll take your comment over Fodor's any day!

I'll probably start another thread once I've had a chance to read some guidebooks and plan the trip. I'm going away to Ibiza later this month, so I'm trying to do some planning there first.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM

Well, 111op, Fodor's recently published an Argentina guide and the following were the posters quoted:

ColoradoAl, alg, JKinCALIF, annetti,
sweet_polly, claire_david2, Alana,
yestravel, Jodicook, Salito,
Wildfire, CollegeMom, Margenti,
Flintstones, El_Pelhar, cwn, cdale,
lily3 and RagTopGirl.

Can you see my name, 111op?

Who cares, anyway? I'm posting here to promote my country by helping the people who wish to come here, not for Fodor's sake. LOL!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

We can aim to get into the next edition.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
AV -- i gotta say I was surprised not to see u quoted in the new Arg guide. U really give such great advice and information. I for one really appreciate your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -