Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Airfare to Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/airfare-to-cancun-183015/)

Sue Mar 27th, 2002 06:32 AM

Airfare to Cancun

I'm trying to book airline tickets for 6 adults to Cancun from Philadelphia from Sept. 21 (Sat.) to Sept. 28 (Sat.). Unfortunately, we cannot be flexible with these dates. I've found that ticket prices are an outrageous price of over $700 per person. I remember prices being in the $300's last year. I'm sure prices fluctuate from year to year but was wondering if they are high because I'm trying to book too early. On the flip side, I had heard that one could get great deals booking early. I've tried several so called "discount" venues and found a price of $650. They said that flights go on sale around Labor Day and that maybe it was worth waiting. Has anyone heard of this? Can anyone provide me with some general tips on finding good fares? Should I just check with the airlines from time to time and hope to get lucky? Also, has anyone tried Priceline or Hotwire? Hotwire has tickets for $450 which is great but not sure what kind of flights we'll get. Thank you in advance.

Nancy Mar 27th, 2002 06:50 AM

Hi Sue,<BR>Please do a search...<BR>There was a lot of feedback on airfare to Cancun in a very recent (like last week) post.<BR>Good luck!

eyebug Mar 28th, 2002 08:12 AM

Airfare to Mexico is relatively pricey, no matter what. May be related to high Mexican departure taxes, airport fees, plain old supply/demand, etc. I very recently traveled to Puerto Vallarta from Dallas and wound up using Priceline. Although I saved approx. $120/ticket, they were still $530 each, all fees included, on AeroMexico. Interestingly, other Priceline users at approx the same time were getting prices $100 LESS flying out of JFK. In conversation with 2 other families on the same flights found that one family had paid $100 less than I while another had paid $300 more than I (both non-Priceline). What a racket!<BR><BR>If you decide to use Priceline, do yourself a big favor and first go to the following excellent website and save yourself a lot of confusion and/or grief:<BR><BR>http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding<BR><BR><BR>

Kris Mar 28th, 2002 12:33 PM

You might try one of the package companies. You've booked through Apple Vacations from Chicago, most recently for $500 per person for the whole 3 night package as Cancun was practically empty in December. I believe Apple also goes from Philadelphia and may have air only options and we've used Funjet for their air only option. I couldn't come close to booking cheaper on my own.<BR><BR>I think it may still be early to get great deals, our paper usually lists them 3-4 months in advance, but I would think September would be low season and there should be some deals out there. Apple has to be booked through a travel agent but Funjet can be booked online.

Sheila Mar 28th, 2002 12:40 PM

The airfare to Cancun and other cities in Mexico have been outrageouly high the past six months. We check all the sites to see if we can get cheaper flights than we see, but to no avail. You do have two choices - either pay for them now or take your chance and wait until the summer. The time of the year you want to go is hurricane season and for the airfare to be so high especially then is ridiculous. I personally would wait! Are you leaving midweek or weekend ?. That often is a factor. In any event, good luck!

Mike Mar 28th, 2002 09:04 PM

I am planning a August vacation for my family to PV. I have found airline packages, esp., American West are much cheaper that Fun Jet or even expedia. I will fly out of Portland, Ore. so maybe that makes a difference.

Marie Mar 28th, 2002 09:08 PM

I hear you on that one. Me and a group of my friends are planning a trip to Cancun this summer in July. From LAX to Cancun is 530 and that is the cheapest. i have checked every online site form Travelocity -to some no namers. But they are all about the same adn even through travel agents. I have called to find out why and they said because of 9/11 the airlines are trying to make up $$$$ (I guess I don't blame them) So they told me if we book now we might get a the breat price and if we wait it might go up. But I have also heard if enough people don't book then the airlines will start lowering the prices. I think I will wait another month or so, seeing you have more time I would wait to. (by the way - i punched in Hawaii for the same dates and they were just as bad , so it is not Mexico only)

Mike Mar 28th, 2002 09:15 PM

Marie<BR><BR> Check to see if American West flys out of LA and if so, check their package deals.<BR> Mike

zorro Mar 30th, 2002 10:21 AM

the flight from Cancun to Miami is one hour and fifteen minutes, Iberia Air offers the one way for $ 500.00, that´s pricey, but American Airlines, in all their wisdom, offers one.... a six and a half hour flight,where they take one is a conundrum, for the princely sum of $ 1850.00 US.....this bargain is available on Travelocity.crumb

joyce Mar 30th, 2002 11:02 AM

You might check with at Travel Agent.<BR>Apple Vacations operates a charter to Cancun from Philadelphia, last time I checked it was in the $500 range for Air Only.<BR>They also have air and hotel packages.

Lisa Mar 31st, 2002 09:30 AM

I just booked flights for 4 people from LAX to Puerto Vallarta for 312.50 each with Aero Mexico. I also found similiar fares with Alaska Air. I know youre talking Cancun not PV but you might want to give them a call. Also Apple vacations.com are wonderful. I have also used priceline many times and have loved it! No problems, just make sure you put 0-1 stops each way. I also found great low fares with Orbitz.com and you choose times, airlines etc. Hope this helps! Lisa

Mark Mar 31st, 2002 08:32 PM

Air fare from LA to the Pacific Coast of Mexico is considerably cheaper then to the Carribean side. You really can't compare the two.