Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Airfare in mid-August (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/airfare-in-mid-august-431714/)

lucretia319 May 14th, 2004 09:47 AM

Airfare in mid-August

I got my ticket on priceline for $420 RT flying with Continental Airlines, 1 stopover in Texas, from New York to San Jose. I was hoping for a much cheaper price like $350 but I don't think those prices exist anymore now that CR has become a popular destination. Is $420 a good price? How much did you pay for airfare?

Dondiega May 14th, 2004 10:12 AM

If you go to the Continental site and play around with the res screen then you will see that the prices vary if you go or come back on different days and at different times of the day. So $420 may be a good price for the dyas you are travelling or the time of day. I am going to Miami in Aug, I have seen a difference of $140 a ticket depending on what day or time of day. So your question is difficult to answer exactly because we don't know hat days or time are involved so it may be like apples and oranges.

mikemo May 14th, 2004 10:14 AM

Best bargain this year from my perspective here in DFW.
The stopover at IHR should be painless if it's not too long and you have little carry-on. The gate walk may be a bit much.
M
PS the Continental leg room IHR/SJO is absolutely awful!!!

shillmac May 14th, 2004 01:07 PM

I agree with Mikemo--compared to what the rates have been lately out of Dallas, this is a real bargain. We are traveling out of OKC (Continental) next month and felt lucky to get tickets for $580! Last year we got tickets once for $230 and another time for $330, another time $450, just kept going up! You've done well, I think! It always amazes me that some of the fares are so much cheaper from the NE coast of the US than from Dallas!

fae May 14th, 2004 05:38 PM

I got $491 plus taxes of $27.40 for a total of $546 for round trip, non-stop from DFW to San Jose on American. Sounds like the $420 you got was a good deal even with one stopover. I agree that flights out of DFW seem to be so much higher than other originating airports. My husband is running in to that with his business trips.

shillmac May 14th, 2004 06:03 PM

Don't you just love that nonstop out of Dallas, though? We have flown it several times. Only thing is, we have to drive 5 hours to get there and that usually involves an overnight stay. We have decided to spring for the extra when it isn't too much and just fly out of OKC connecting in Dallas.

Golondrina May 14th, 2004 07:34 PM

We just booked a flight June 23-July 6 on America West from Albuquerque to SJO via Phoenix for $357 incl taxes. I first noticed a good fare on Expedia, then went to the America West website and found the fare to be even less. A good airfare getting there sure helps to offset the cost of domestic flights - we're spending a week at Bosque del Cabo on the Osa and the airfare sure adds up quickly!

sclubb May 16th, 2004 05:24 PM

I feel extra good about my tickets - $260pp inc taxes from Philadelphia and it's nonstop! I knew it was a good bargain at the time which is why I decided to jump on it - but didn't realize HOW good a bargain it really was! It's just not the best idea to compare airfares though as they are constantly changing & everyone winds up with different deals...

shillmac May 16th, 2004 05:50 PM

All I've got to say, Sclubb, is Congratulations! That is fantastic!