Aguila de Osa - Drake Bay

Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aguila de Osa - Drake Bay

Has anyone stayed here? I was originally planning on staying at Cabinas Las Caletas, but now that I've been in touch with Aguila de Osa and they will offer a 4th night free plus a discount for children under 15 (whereas CLC is under 12 and my daughter will be 13), it seems like a better deal. Once I add up CLC nightly rates plus include tours and transfers that are already included in ADO's package for 4 nights (Corcovado hike and Cano Island), ADO's total actually comes out to be a bit less.

Any first hand experience is much appreciated!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
RAC

I think VLC still winds up being a little cheaper by about $70/person, but it would probably be worth it for the luxe accomodations at ADO.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM

We stayed Aguila de Osa maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was very nice. There was no air conditioner and it was hot and humid and you needed to climb some stairs to get to your room. We got used to it. The room we had was lovely, but the walls were basically screens with wooden blinds that you could draw down, but then the blinds would inhibit the cross breeze. It was noisy at night! Actually we loved it and we have lots of fond memories of the place and experiences.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

RAC - You're right. I think I added something wrong the first time. It would be $1,020 for CLC vs $1,147 for ADO. By the way, I noticed you're staying at Drake Bay Wilderness Lodge, right? I was going to stay there with the extra perk of having a saltwater pool, but go figure they have 2 groups from Miami U staying there for most of the duration of my trip. They did offer me a pretty decent cash discount though.

CLC
duplex @ $80/pp x 4 nights = 640 + transfers @ $40/pp = $80 + Corcovado hike @ $75/pp x 2 = $150 + Cano Island @ $75/pp = $150. Total = 1,020. However, I might see about cash discount here too.

tbelgian -- Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty used to places down there having no A/C so I'm ok with that along with the "rustic" factor. Sounds like you give it a two thumbs up, thanks! Did you go during a good whale watching time of year?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
RAC

Nope. I'm not doing the Osa until 2011. We're looking at Finca Maresia in Drake Bay, which looks like the best bargain on the planet, plus 1-2 nights at Sirena.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm...ok, I'll have have to try to remember who commented on the Wilderness Lodge. It still looks like a place to consider.

Yes, Finca Maresia looks like a great bargain. They have the perk of being close enough to town I guess that you don't have to have all the meals included, which is a nice option. The photos look great!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 06:02 AM

I have stayed at Aguila twice, as well at other lodges in the area. I think if they are offering a deal comparable to las caletas you should snap it up, it's a great place. Wonderfully located, beautiful cabins, great food, free wine with dinner, great guides.... Las Caletas is certainly nice but Aguila is in an other league. It's real competition is La Paloma, and I preferred Aguila. Highly recommended!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks patapouf. I'm leaning in that direction. I do wish there was a pool for cooling off, but oh well. Will be splitting time with bosque del cabo, which I love.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Also, which lodge would you say has better/easier access to kayaking?