I need Costa Rica advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! In early may, I am planning my 2nd trip to CR with my husband who has never been before. We have 9 days and we would like our time split between relaxing/snorkeling at the beach and touring the jungles and Arenal. We are in our early 30's and we prefer small, luxury hotels that have good food, service and some nightlife if possible.

Are there any beaches in CR that have warm tuquoise waters? I only made it to the Pacific side when I went in May 1999 and I was disappointed with the water temps., snorkeling and undercurrents. (I went to MA, Ocotal and Jaco) Is it worth the effort to go to the Caribbean side? Are the beaches nice?

Here is what we are considering:
2 days at the Arenal Paraiso or La Mansion Arenal (what is the best in the area? I didn't go to Arenal on my 1st trip)
3 days in Jaco at Villas Caletas (went there before and LOVED it)
3 days in MA at Makanda by the Sea or La Mariposa (last time I stayed at Hotel Parador - just ok)
OR cutting out one location to go to the Carib. side.
I had an awesome time on my last trip, but it was a bit tiresome flying and driving around from San Jose, to MA, Ocotal, Monteverde, and Jaco. We are hoping to see different ecosystems, but want to relax some too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM

go try the Northern Guanacaste Coast instead of jaco you said you were disappointed with it last time?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:12 PM

On a trip to CR last year, I stayed for a night @ Villa Caletas (love that infinity pool!) and then stayed for several nights @ La Mariposa. It's worth going up to Mariposa to have a drink and watch the sunset; they've got an excellent view. However, their rooms and the place in general, is not as nice as Villa Caletas. For your Manuel Antonio visit, I'd suggest staying at Makanda by the Sea. You'll read alot of very positive comments on this site about that place.

On an earlier trip to CR, I went to Tamarindo; and as the prior poster suggested, perhaps you'd want to explore the beaches up here in Guanacaste region. However, do be aware if you're seeking the crystal clear blue waters and warm balmy temps, (as in what you can get along Yucatan peninsula in Mexico or on Caribbean Islands) --- it doesn't exist along the Pacific of CR. I have yet to get to the Caribbean side of CR and so cannot advise whether you'll find it over there.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM

We stayed at Arenal Paraiso in January. It is excellent, with great service. Pool bar makes a mean mango daquiri.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I guess I wasn't clear in my last post, but I loved Jaco and Villas Calets, so I would like to return to the area.

I went to the Guanacaste area (Ocotal) to go diving on my last trip and it was very arid and brown. I am hoping to find an area that is more lush with warm turqoise waters, so that is why I am curious about the Caribbean side. I am just concerned about the hassle of traveling over there.

I have even thought about going to Belize. Has any body been to the Caribbean side of CR or Belize? Are the waters warm and blue?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Just returned from Belize. We spent three nights in Placencia and four nights on Ambergris Caye. Beaches were very pretty in Placencia, but it doesn't have that beautiful blue Caribbean water. Funky little town, we absolutely loved it.

Ambergris Caye has some beautiful blue water, but since the reef is only half a mile off shore, it doesn't have the wave action, so there is a lot of sea grass on the beach. Still very nice, but most people swim off the numerous docks.

We then journeyed north to Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Neither place in Belize can compare to the sand and water in those areas of Mexico. That being said, my heart belongs in Belize.

Jean
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Have been to both CR and Belize and enjoyed both. If you want great snorkeling, Belize is definitely the place to go. The reef there is awesome. However, as the other poster mentioned, they don't have nice beaches due to the seagrass. I was there in the summer and the water was very warm.

I don't think there's anywhere to swim on the Caribbean side of CR. I was at Tortuguero in the summer to see the giant turtles when they come out to lay their eggs. I definitely recommend that. However, you couldn't swim from the beach.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:22 PM

The Caribbean side actually has some very nice areas in the south near Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, and on south toward Manzanillo. Mostly black sand beaches, some mixed which is very interesting and unusual. A little bit of current here and there, so be sure to check with the locals for specific swimming spots, but yes, you can swim and snorkle. . there is some coral reef and a great national park at Cahuita. It's definitely worth a visit. . . totally different. . . .less Central American, more Jamaican. . .
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

What is the best way to get down to Cahuita and Puerto Viejo? I noticed that Sansa does not fly there and with CR's terrible roads, it seems like it would take many hours to drive there. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Quite the contrary! The newest and nicest highway in the country is the one from San Jose to Limon. . .the Ticos are quite proud of it! You will enjoy! Although the last time I was on it (last July) it was starting to get just a few potholes--due, I'm sure, to heavy truck traffic and so much rain in this area. But it is a nice trip. . .very scenic. About 3 hours (possibly 2 and a half) to Limon, then another 45 minutes or so south to Cahuita, another 15 down to Puerto Viejo and points south are all fairly close together. Worth a visit! Go!