Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Advice on transportation from San Jose for half day trips

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

We arrive at the San Jose airport at 11:40 am and would like to make the most of our day before heading off to Manuel Antonio early the next morning. I hope there is time to get through customs and travel directly to La Paz Waterfalls until they close at 5 pm. Then we would head back to our b and b near the airport. Is it possible to get an Uber from the airport for such a trip? And because we do not want to get stuck is it possible to get an uber or taxi back from La Paz to near the airport? I also have some requests out for a driver but nothing so far.

Similarly on our last full day we will be back near the airport around 1:30 pm. I wondered if we could Uber to Sarchi and possibly Grecia. Does this seem worth it to see the factory and town? Would we have trouble getting a taxi or Uber back?

A third option is to go into San Jose to see the theatre or museum but people seem quite mixed on this.

Thanks for your help on these days.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 01:18 PM

I'm not sure that Uber is legal in Costa Rica; the last I heard it wasn't legal. You might check with your airbnb to see if they can recommend a local driver or check with the Peace Lodge since they're on the grounds of the La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 04:39 PM

Uber operates in Costa Rica, but it's illegal. Some drivers are reluctant to come into the airport since that's a highly visible place where they could be caught. None will pick you up at the customs exit itself where all the taxis congregate. They might ask you to walk out to the public bus stop. I think your chances of getting an Uber driver to pick you up at La Paz are very slim. I like volcanogirl's idea of using a local driver..
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Do you think it is possible to get a taxi from La Paz back to our lodging near the airport? I just do not know what the area around La Paz is like in terms of calling a taxi. I do have a question into the Peace Lodge about it.

A local driver seems like a good plan, too, but I haven't had any luck finding anyone. Does anyone have a name to share?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 12:34 PM

That's why sometimes a hotel or regular inn or BnB is better than an "Airbnb".

They have names of drivers/guides, backup drivers. And likely first dibs on their time.

I think at this point I might just do a car rental since you are having no luck, assuming that the Airbnb has parking.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

I am not staying at an Airbnb. I do think advice may be forthcoming from the owner of the b and b, but I wanted to see if anyone has any advice here with drivers they have used or going to La Paz by taxi or Uber.

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Taxis usually aren't just waiting around. In most areas you have to call for one or pre-arrange it. I would think a taxi from La Paz to the airport would be pretty pricey. I'm not sure they would travel that far either. Taxis usually just work one city rather than going between cities. We stayed at the Peace Lodge, and they arranged a private driver for us.

We've also used Carlos Bogarin with Destinos Encantados and liked him a lot. He has a website. We used him in the Arenal area, not sure how far he travels, but you could check with him. You could also check with a company like Desafio and see if they recommend anyone. I usually get two quotes just to compare pricing.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Costa Rica Transfers, Costa Rica tours, Costa rica transportation, costa rica travel is the link if you want to check with Carlos.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Volcanogirl, thanks again for your help! In the meantime our travel advisor at Gecko Trails has found a round trip taxi for us at a reasonable rate.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Oh good, glad you found something that will work for you. Not sure why my link posted that way. So is it a private driver? Sometimes we'll tell a driver to keep an eye out for wildlife or cool things they see. We've had them point out pretty waterfalls, coatis on the side of the road, an entire tree full of scarlet macaws - they usually have good eyes or know where some neat things can be found.