Reload this Page >

advice on first trip to Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 03:16 PM
Jeri Roth Lande

My husband and I and 2 kids (8&12) are <BR>thinking about going to Costa Rica this summer. Have <BR>collected tour info from several companies & it looks <BR>great! Has anyone been there with kids? What do you think about the advantages of taking a group tour, such as Costa Rica <BR> Expeditions versus going alone? Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with a particular tour group? <BR> <BR> <BR> We are interested in seeing a variety of things, especially wildlife. A tentative itinerary would include visits to Tortuguero, Arenal, the Aerial Tram and <BR>Tamarindo beach. Any comments would be <BR>appreciated. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 11:54 AM
C.Clark

Your itinerary sounds good. You can do everything yourself you don't need a tour company. Rent a four wheel drive (Avis was the cheapest when we went). When you arrive stay the first night in San Jose if you get in late so that you can get an early start in the morning. Make sure that you spend some time in and around San Jose as there are lots of things to see and do there as well. there's a Hampton's really close to the airport and car rental place. It's very nice for a family and they serve a free continental breakfast as well. Ask for an entertainment rate. Pay for your hotels as you go, you won't have a problem finding one and you'll also get a better price than if you prebook. You'll have a great time and so will your kids!!!!! <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Jim Staples

Hi Jeri, <BR>I agree with the first response with this exception. We found San Jose to be buisy, noisy and downright unpleasant. My family has lived in Costa Rica for about 50 years. They were the first of the Quaker families that settled what is now Monteverde. <BR> <BR>Our last stay was for a month a few years ago. We prefer the west coast over the east coast although Tourtegaro is always a highlight. The best way to travel is to take your time and ask fellow tourists and residents what they are enjoying most. Costa Rica is a very friendly country and english is spoken widely. Do beware of petty thefts anywhere in the country, especially San Jose. Keep your car locked and any valuables out of sight. The mountains are a most comfortable and a must see is Volcan Arenal. There is a lodge on the side of a mountain across from the volcano and large glass windows provide a wild nighttime show. The rumbles from the volcano even rattle the glass windows. Near Arenal are hot springs that are a must and if you like adventure, there are some springs back in the jungle that are really fun to bask in. Just ask at the tourist information in La Fortuna. <BR> <BR>I could go on and on about Costa Rica. If you want to hear more from me just email and I will talk your email ear off. <BR> <BR>Pura Vida <BR> <BR>Jim Staples

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Daryl

I got back from Costa Rica last Sunday. What an experience. If you are ready for a fantastic trip - try a resort called Lapa Rios - It is in the Osa Peninsula (South - Pacific side.) It is nothing but wilderness - AND there were a few families with children - from young children to teenagers. I can not say enough about this resort. It is in the middle of the rainforest. No phones, tv, clocks, radios. You are awakened every morning by the howler monkeys and scarlet macaws. Lapa Rios focuses on wilderness tours/hikes. It is rather small (14 bungalows) but simply spectacular. The staff is very kind and the guides very knowledgeable. Feel free to email me directly and I will give you all the information you want - You can also check out their web site - laparios.com.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 01:43 PM
lisa

I second the nomination for Lapa Rios. Very pricey but worth every cent, and a truly "authentic" experience as all employees are local, as are all the construction materials, and it's all done in a very ecologically-sensitive manner. The food is unbelievable, the service is top-notch, but the wildlife is what makes it a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Teri

Hi Jeri, I also just returned from Lapa Rios and can't say enough about it. The staff was so wonderful, the food was out of this world and there wasnt a day that went by that we didnt see animals. The squirel monkeys woke us up every morning, Macaws visited a tree by our room every day. The hiking was incredible. I cant say enough about this resort, we came back with memories and photos that will last a lifetime. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. Teri

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 10:24 AM
lisa

Teri -- I've been thinking about you and was wondering if you were back yet and how you enjoyed it. So glad to hear you liked Lapa Rios. When you have a chance, post a trip report -- I'm dying to hear all about it!!!

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 06:12 AM
Jeri

Thanks for all the info. I think we will try to arrange something independently. However, we really don't want to drive ourselves - have heard the roads are terrible in the summer. Now thinking of trying to coordinate segments with Expeditions or a travel agent. <BR> <BR>Still definitely want to go to Tortuguero and see the turtles. Also Arenal. Have seen several ways to see the rainforests. Has anyone tried the Aerial Tram or various other rides/ways to get into the heights? What did you think of them? <BR> <BR>Also still would like to end with a few days at a beach or something relaxing. Lapa Rios sounds interesting, but do people actually swim there or mostly hike? Would anyone recommend another beach area on the west coast? (I understand the east is rainier in the summer.) <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your input. <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:37 AM
lisa

You can swim at Lapa Rios -- there is a nice pool in addition to a lovely but rocky beach -- but if you're looking for great beaches I would not go there for that. The beaches at Manuel Antonio are prettier, particularly third beach (although obviously Manuel Antonio is much more heavily touristed and you won't have any beaches to yourself there). Lapa Rios is an incredible experience though and I recommend it highly.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 08:24 AM
A.Hawkins

My family found a gem of a place not listed in all of the guides. The Vista Del Valle Plantation Inn is a luxury nature lodge and resort owned and run by a couple from the S.F. area who did a stint there in the Peace Corps in the '60s. Thinking that "less is more" this couple has only 11 guest villas, each tucked in a corner of their beautifully landscaped gardens. The inn is perched on the edge of a nature preserve, so there's plenty of bird watching, nature trails, and even a 300 ft. waterfall. There's a pool,Jacuzzi,Botanical garden,and an Equestrian Center. Great family style dining in gourmet resturant on the veranda overlooking a 500 ft bluff that overlooks the preserve, and the Central Valley. Stunning vistas of mountains, volcanoes, and the lights of San Jose at night. Prices run from $85-$155. Their web page is &lt;www.vistadelvalle.com&gt; We could have stayed our whole vacation there and just done day trips. I think this place is going to get real popular soon so go now before the rush. <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Andrea Hawkins

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 09:26 AM
lisa

I stayed at Vista del Valle as well and recommend it highly. It's a particularly great place to stay the first day you arrive in the country or the last day before you leave, as it's not too far from the airport but has an otherworldly feeling about it as you are not in the city. Gorgeous views and friendly staff.