Advice on Family Trip To Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(1) Me, wife, 20 and 18 year old daughters (wife and older daughter speak passable Spanish if that is useful; none of us have been to Mexico)

(2) 7-10 days in late Dec (into early January)

(3) We like to walk around and see/touch things, are not good just sitting on a beach (my older daughter burns, not tans)

(4) Both daughters like to shop (duh), but their parents are more interested in touching the non-touristy places

----------------

Any suggestions on one - three cities/places for us to use as a base and how long to spend in each one???

- Dan M
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I suggest Colonial Mexico. Fly into Guadalajara, and then bus to a couple of other colonial area. I did this trip with 2 friends earlier this year, and it was wonderful. We met in Guadalajara, then took the bus to the colonial city of Guanajuato (my favorite place). We spent an afternoon shopping in Leon, the leather capital of Mexico. We also went to Morelia, and did a side trip to Patzcuarro from there. It was wonderful. If you are interested in more info, email me at [email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:53 AM

I have to say Playa del Carmen is the best bet. Your girls will love the Euroness of it - a combo of French, Italians, Germans, and Mexicans. Lots of cool shops like Blue Planet. Awesome food at Babes (we eat there almost every night). Playa is in the center of all things - so day trips are easy. Alltounative has great tours. If you want to go to Tulum - I'd rent a car and go at your own pace to see the ruins, then head to the beach for a meal at Zamas-woodoven pizzas. Speaking English in these places is not a problem, but it's always polite to try Spanish first. Check out Playadelcarmeninfo.com. I'd suggest playa-maya.com for a hotel. Also get a map - cancunmap.com (Playa and Riviera Maya map). Let me if you need more suggestions.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I agree totally with the previous poster who suggested Playa del Carmen.

Stunning beach; reasonable rates - even during Christmas; easy access from Cancun; a plethora of good restaurants (Babe's is one of our faves too!); VERRRRY interesting shopping (I babied some neat hanging lights all the way home); cool bars - love Frida, Alux and Deseo; and major ruins close by - Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza.

There's also a neat eco-park - Tres Rios - great snorkeling and diving nearby, lots of little town sightseeing possibilities, good roads for rental cars and exploring, and some of the friendliest people to be found in Mexico.

Wait! I just got back in May, and I'm ready to go again!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:18 PM

I also agree with Playa Del Carmen. We just got back from a wonderful week-long stay. My husband and I LOVED this town, and there is really something for everyone. There are a lot of chill/relaxing hangouts, but also some party places. Georgeous beaches, small town Caribbean feel, and easy access to Cozumel (great day trip). Great shopping if you want it, but plenty of other things to do if you don't. Wonderful bars and restaurants as well. I would recommend this town to anyone - we really enjoyed it.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM

If you don't really like the beach, I'd skip Playa del Carmen. It *IS* a nice beach resort area, but I think you've got better options open to you if you're looking for more of a cultural kind of experience with shopping.

Maybe Puerto Vallarta and then up to Guadalajara where you could easily do a day trip out to the tequila distilleries (there's a weekend excursion train from Guadalajara to Tequila called the Tequila Express that might be a good option). Also, for the shoppers in the family, don't miss the Tlaqapaque area --- it's a magnificent mecca for anyone into Mexican crafts, handmade folk artesania, etc.

Another interesting option for you might be something along the lines of some of the historic colonial towns in the highlands to the north of Mexico City. Guanajuato is beautiful and historic, as is Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende, but personally, I like Zacatecas better than any of them because it's got a bit of a unique touch on the architecture (it's the pink), not to mention a cable car up to the old mine...

Another good trip could be through the Mayan heartland of the Yucatan and Campeche, maybe based out of Merida. See places like Uxmal, Chichen Itza, maybe even Palenque, not to mention the fascinating colonial side of Merida or the old fort in historic Campeche city. There's also a tourist train here that could be cool (but pricey) called el Expreso Maya.

Just a few options away from the beaches...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com