Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Advice on Arenal eruptions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/advice-on-arenal-eruptions-239746/)

Michele Jul 15th, 2002 10:18 AM

Advice on Arenal eruptions

To those of you who have seen, or attempted to see, the flows and eruptions from Arenal volcano, can you tell us where the "potentially" best spots to see the eruptions? We're staying at the Observatory which I'm told isn't the best place to see the "show". Does anyone know about trips to see the eruptions? Also, is it a long trip into La Fortuna? We have a 4 x 4 rented. Thanks for any help.

Tia Jul 15th, 2002 10:39 AM

Michele:<BR><BR>We stayed at the Arenal Lodge in March of this year. It is on the lava flow side while the Obser. Lodge is on the green side. We had a SPECTACULAR view of the flows. Saw the cone every day of the three we were there. It was wonderful. I know you can take a hike up to the old flows, but we did not. I'm sure you can make arrangements at your lodge as we could at ours, plus you can do this also through a couple places in La Fortuna. I'd say from the Arenal Lodge into La Fortuna was about a 15 minute car ride--no 4x4 needed at all. We took a taxi a couple times into town and to Tabacon. Our lodge also had a free shuttle. I know one of the companies has a night lava flow tour you can take, too. We found it VERY easy to book tours, hire a guide, arrange transportation, etc. in the country. You also have to remember that the clouds may not cooperate with you in order to see the lava flows. We were able to see them in the day light, but it was socked in most of the time at night. Either way, it was still one of the BEST experiences of my life. It is so cool!!!!<BR><BR>Tia

pjr Jul 15th, 2002 12:00 PM

I thought the Tabacan Resort was a good spot to view the eruption of Arenal. We very much enjoyed sitting in the pool and watching the show.

Iza Jul 15th, 2002 01:10 PM

We attempted to see Arenal last year in August and were not successful (we had rain, clouds and fog for 2 days we spent there). We glimpsed the outline of the volcano for a few seconds the first afternoon there and then did not see it at all for the rest of the time there. From my research, the best place to see the volcano eruptions and lava flow is along the road from La Fortuna to Tabacon. Observatory Lodge is supposed to have spectacular views but not of the lava flow. Here is a link to a little map showing hotel locations and lava flow (highlight the link and then copy and paste it into the address window):<BR>http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/arenal...olcano-map.htm

Dawn Jul 16th, 2002 11:35 AM

We stayed at the Arenal Lodge and while we did not see the cone or any sparks due to the severe clouding that covers the volcano most of the time, the Arenal Lodge and other accomodations in that area will have the best view if anything does occur. Apparently, the lava flow has shifted over the years and the Observatory no longer has the best view in town. If I were you I would stay at the Tabacon Hot Springs, the views of the volcano, if available, are fine and you can enjoy the springs for free.

afdip Jul 17th, 2002 09:56 PM

Another reason NOT to stay at the observatory is that the rooms have a common wall...everything is overheard and lights from the next room can keep you from seeing the volcano.

bly Jul 18th, 2002 03:08 PM

Michele = we stayed at the Observatory Lodge last month and had great views of the volcano from both our room and the Lodge itself. We were awakened one morning with a loud BOOM and saw a lot of smoke and debris in the air. It was smoking and you could hear it the entire time we were there, but we didn't see the glowing lava at night from where we were. The lava is on the other side - we went to Tabacon and could see it from the pools and also took a short evening tour offered by the Observatory which took us out to a less populated area and checked it out through a telescope. <BR><BR>Our rooms were very quiet = Smithsonian class rooms.<BR><BR>PS - thanks Tia for your help in planning. we had a great time.

Tia Jul 19th, 2002 05:17 AM

You're VERY welcome. Glad you had a great time!!!! :)<BR><BR>Tia