Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Advice Needed: Rent a car for PDC-Iberostar Tucan trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/advice-needed-rent-a-car-for-pdc-iberostar-tucan-trip-839622/)

marysmommy May 10th, 2010 11:47 AM

Advice Needed: Rent a car for PDC-Iberostar Tucan trip?

Our extended family (eight people: four adults, four teens) will be staying at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal December 18-25 for a Christmas holiday. Do we need to rent cars or should we just use taxis? Also, since we're flying out on Christmas morning, will it be difficult to get taxis to the airport? We would like to do some sidetrips and to go into PDC (which we understand is a short cab ride), but do we really need to rent cars for an entire week for this or just hire drivers? Thanks!

sandy_b May 10th, 2010 12:33 PM

We were there last year in Oct . . . a taxi into PDC is only 50 pesos (about $4) . . . there is also a public bus. No need for a car.

Sandy (in Denton)

colokid May 10th, 2010 05:02 PM

You won't have a problem getting to the airport. The bus does not run in to Playacar but the bus station is in PDC on the corner of 5th Avenue and Juarez. It runs then north to Cancun and then west or south to the Tulum area and then west or in to the interior of Mexico. Renting a car for that many people at that time of year is going to be very expensive. Another option is the colectivo which is a van service from PDC also up and down the highway to the south or north. It is very inexpensive. If you are interested in any of these options I can give you more info. It all depends on how far you plan on going and at what time of day. If it's only PDC from Playacar then either take the taxi or walk (20 min).

schmerl May 10th, 2010 05:30 PM

Make sure your airport transport insn't included in your package.
We have used Cancun Valet to go to and from the aiport. YOu can arrange your transportaion before you even go to Mexico. They have vans that hold up to ten people for one set fee.
You do not need to rent a car.

marysmommy May 10th, 2010 05:43 PM

Thank you so much! This was a spur of the moment decision that my sister and I made because we were sick of spending $$$ on plastic nothings for Christmas. We haven't explored it very much, but it's sounding better and better!

colokid May 11th, 2010 03:24 AM

I spend every Christmas and New Year's in Playa. It's a great time. Now that my kids are older we have two weeks of family time that we don't get all year. Have fun.

schmerl May 11th, 2010 03:42 AM

We have been at the Iberostar Paraiso complex during Christmas. They have a WONDERFUL gala buffet on Christmas Eve, so I would think the IB T/Q would also. On Christmas day, there was a party on the beach all day and Santa arriced via jet ski.

colokid May 11th, 2010 04:12 AM

Just looked at the webcam on the beach and it looks to be an outstanding day. We're expecting snow tonight UGH. Three more weeks until I can be in PDC for the summer. Can't wait.

MFNYC May 11th, 2010 09:34 AM

If you plan on doing any day trips further than PDC (like Tulum ruins, Xel-Ha, etc), then I would just rent a car for that day. No need to have one otherwise. And since you are staying at an AI, you'll probably be spending most of your time there.

If your package doesn't include airport transfer, I suggest you book something in advance. We used www.entertainment-plus.net. We were pleased with their service and the price is very reasonable. You can hire a private van for your group.

marysmommy May 11th, 2010 05:10 PM

Thanks so much! Any other tips on side trips or restaurants in PDC?

colokid May 12th, 2010 03:33 AM

Restaurants in PDC change on a regular basis. There is always something new opening and much of the north area is still expanding. So many restaurants to choose from, local and upscale, all different cuisines. Favorites include:
El Fogon - Constituyentes between 25th and 30th avenues across from Mega. Dinner/inexpensive
Pummolara - 2 locations - calle flamingo and 1st avenue north end of town and calle 24 between 5th and 10th avenues. Italian.
Yaxche - 2 locations - newest location is on 5th ave and calle 22. Traditional Mayan food.
Wicky's on the beach - calle 8. breakfast/lunch/dinner. Great food/beautiful setting/ expensive for dinner but very nice. Great beach club. Live music in the afternoon
Bad Boys on the beach - look for the flag with the skull. live music starting at 4 or 5.

There is an excellent list of restaurants and things to do at www.playa.info. Look at the tabs at the top and also on the forum titled Changarros y mas for a whole list of restaurants that the locals and others have been to and rated. The trip planning tab or the directory tab can help with ideas for activities and there's a map of Playa also.