Adventurous single mom traveling to osa with 13 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want this to be the trip to remember for both of us so would like it to be perfect. Have no idea where to stay, Just the 2 of us . My daughter is 13. We are both super adventurous and athletic and want the waterfall rappel, zipline and tree climbing. But when we are not doing that we both love to crash in our room or with massage, great views of the water, ocean bliss, and light. After reading reviews I am so confused as to wear to stay. Both Bosque Del Cabo and El Remanso have great reviews but everyone says views and property better at Bosque. The people at El Remanso seem so helpful and there prices include domestic airfare and local travel with the adventure package but the rooms and property seem a bit dark and have less views. We really do want that.

Also there's Drake bay and La Paloma which looks breathtaking with Cano island right there. The views and openness seem really relaxing to me.

I normally wouldn't stress so much but I can't get away often with my daughter and want it truly to be awesome. I know it's the rainy season and therefore assuming our room should be paradise in case we want to vegout through a storm.

Any advice so greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Funny because I'm a single mom too and have travelled quite a bit in CR with my daughter who's now 13. For us, our favorite is Bosque del Cabo. I would also choose that area over Drake Bay if you had to pick one. I'm posting a trip report about those areas right now if you click on my name. When are you planning on going?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM

www.lookout-inn.com

www.jinetesdeosa.com

2 best budget places

www.bosquedelcabo.com for a splurge
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'll look at trip report now. It is a last minute plan for the end of august. Not ideal for weather I know but both her and my schedules have been booked. Any advice about that would be appreciated. Do you think we will still be able to get some sun and do our activities?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

and by the way i'm a hip virgo chic also. to great a coincidence!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:39 AM

I've stayed at both BdC and El Remanso. I would (and hope to!) go back to BdC -- and I *would* go back to ER in theory, but probably won't. It was a nice and peaceful property, but the views of the ocean at BdC are unrivaled. BdC also has a lot more property and trails -- and they have access to both the Pacific side and the Gulf side of Cabo Matapalo. No other lodges in the area have that (I don't think). For me, I feel like ER is better for couples/adults -- it's smaller, more intimate, maybe more romantic.

I don't think the amount of light in the cabins is any different between the two, not that I remember.

You can't go wrong with either, but my vote would be for BdC. They're nice there too!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Oh, and also, you can probably do better with the airfare on our own if you can snag the "locos" fare on Nature Air. You just have to buy them early enough to get that rate.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

So helpful! Thank you. I was wondering about the difference in price if I just did it all myself. I think its BDC!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I think if you price everything out, BdC and ER come up pretty much even. I guess it depends on the type of accommodation, but the difference is really negligible. I priced it out last December, and I couldn't tell any difference -- maybe ER was a few dollars less, but not nothing to make a decision over.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

At the moment ER is giving me a night free as many of the hotels. Bosque hasn't offered the same yet. At BdC is there a huge difference between the classic and deluxe cabins? Which would you recommend. Also would anyone recommend splitting the trip between BdB and La Paloma in drake bay? or its not worth it?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Ooh, a free night would be hard to resist. Though I doubt they'll do it, maybe ask BdC to match it?

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the main difference bt the classic and deluxe cabins is the deluxe have patios, whereas the classic only have porches. Also, the classic have two queen beds as opposed to one king.

We stayed in Congo. The view was out of this world. Very surreal.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM

If you are driving, consider Shelter from the Storm in the Domnical/Uvita area for at least 3 days also.
www.shelter-from-the-storm.net
www.shelterfromthestormcr.spaces.live.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01cwo6qOdo
They are offering discounts for your time frame also.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM

lpizz - That is a coincidence! At BDC the standards are great and work well for my daughter and I so we have our own bed. They are all wonderful. Pizote is being rebuilt right now as it was once of their first so it might be done and spanking new by the time you get there. Sol is next door and great too. I ALWAYS ask for discounts when I request reservations, usually by asking if they offer discounts for "cash payments" and go from there. We stayed 4 nights this trip, but in the past 5 to 7. With 4 nights I didn't feel like giving up any time for tours, so that may help decide if you want to split time with Drake Bay. I loved the hike through Corcovado, but the trip to Cano Island seemed to take too much time for what you get (however beautiful and I do like boat rides and the chance to see dolphins and whales). As far as the weather, unfortunately you may need to be prepared for lots of rain.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Some of the deluxe cabins at BdC also have a loft area with beds upstairs - would be good if you each want your own space, but if not, a standard cabin would work great for you. BdC has beautiful views.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. I'm contacting BdC now. And I think we will stay in one place for the 7 nights. You all really helped.