Adventure travel

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adventure travel

Have finalized roughly an itinerary including time around Cusco/Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu 4 or 5 day trek, and perhaps a 3 or 4 day trip to the Amazon. There is a big array of tour operators. Would be interested in hearing about pros and cons of various operators from personal experiences. Have noticed a wide variety of prices and services.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:31 AM

For the Inca Trail we used a company called Llama Path and found them to be extremely good. I did a huge amount of research on companies before booking and I have yet to find one negative comment about them.

Main advantages are:
very small groups - there were only 3 of us in our group.
slightly different itinerary - you start earlier on Day 1 of the trek so you rarely meet other trekkers until the final day
they treat their staff well - unlike several of the other larger operators.
Excellent, well informed and friendly staff - our guide and the porters were all fantastic.

Honestly I would have no hesitation in recommending them - top class from beginning to end.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:53 AM

My three friends and I used Denise who works for Andrew Gilchrist of Lost World Adventures to arrange our travel. Here is my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=6
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM

Try www.andesadventures.com. The owner does happen to be a friend of ours, but last summer, after years of pleading with us, he took us on one of the running trips to MP, and I know he has Amazon additions.

We had a GREAT time, he took excellent care of us, best trip ever. I posted a short trip report, you can look under by name.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM

When I hiked the Inca Trail I used Widerness Travel.

Our group had brand new North Face tents. The porters carried everything. Hot water was brought to our tents every morning for washing. In the morning we would hike & the porters would go ahead & get our lunch ready.

Same with dinner. By the time we walked into camp the porters had set up camp for us & they prepared our dinner.

The main reason I went with WT was b/c I got to stay over night at the hotel at Machu Picchu. That meant that I had access to the ruins after the tourist buses left for the day & before they arrived the next morning.

Imagine being alone in the ruins of Machu Picchu!

Oh yeah, the hotel makes a mean Pisco Sour.

After the Inca Trail I went to Explorama Lodge in the Amazon. That was relaxing. Nothing to do all day but go on boat rides to see wild life & lay in a hammock!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I agree
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM

My boyfriend and I went with Peru Treks. We thought we hit jackpot when we were served awesome meals in large community tents, got hot water to wash up with, were served tea in our tents in the morning, and got fun snacks. Then we heard many other companies offer similar.

What I did like about this company is their commitment to assisting local communities. You can even bring donations of school supplies and such to the office and they will distribute them to the schools. The company also seems to emphasize porter welfare and we did seem to have very happy porters who were very friendly and interacted with us often. Our guide was also excellent and would stop and lecture on history and nature and such.

One drawback might be the group size. We had about 14 people in our group but my boyfriend and I enjoyed the company. By the second day different people were hiking together depending on their abilities and enjoying each other's companies. We had great conversations over meals and had fun playing cards together in the evenings. Sometimes we'd pass smaller groups of 3 or 4 and everyone looked so serious. More people for us meant increasing our probability of meeting new people to share stories of where they're from, where they've traveled, what they recommend and such. Lots of laughter and fun. We know we may have just gotten lucky with our particular mix of people.

No complaints here or from my non-camping, non-hiking boyfriend.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I have always read these forums but have never replied so this is a first because Iquitos is like my second home.The majority of tourists go with Explororama because they are a large company and have been around for a long time. There is a small family owned lodge that is my favorite - Amazon Yanayacu Lodge. It is not written up in any books as of yet and does have a very small new web site. The owner (Clever) has been a guide for most of the other companies at some point in his life and still does guide for Heliconia (which I also like). His small lodge or bungalows are like staying with family. The accomadations are wonderful and the food the best I have eaten. He speaks wonderful English and will do anything to make your expedition to your liking - fishing guides for more than the typical pirannha to taking you out at midnight to find cayman if need be. He will cater the food to your desires and will even have someone wash your clothes. You are further into the jungle so animals are more abundant as well as you really are a part of the jungle and not part of a group of tourists!
He is at the airport meeting the flights as his job is "selling" tour packages primarily for Heliconia and Hotel Victoria Regia and Acosta. He is not pushy and VERY honest.
I have been to the Iquitos area over 15 times and for weeks at a time.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Has anyone heard of or been on a trip with Adventure Center (to Machu Picchu etc.)?