Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Adventure/Culture in Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/adventure-culture-in-mexico-759780/)

AngelaS Jan 5th, 2009 05:39 PM

Adventure/Culture in Mexico?

My DH & I are considering a trip to Mexico. I've never been there and am hesitant b/c we really don't care for places that are extremely touristy. We are looking for a place that has a lot of adventure & outdoor activities & where we can experience the culture. Any recommendations? We want to avoid the tourist traps.

afterall Jan 6th, 2009 12:46 AM

Hi,

I've only made one trip to Mexico but, believe me, it's easy to avoid the 'extemely touristy' if that's what you want. It is, after all, a big country.

I assume by 'outdoor activities' you mean more than just wandering the streets and doing the odd country walk. Are we talking beach here? Could you be more specific? Just for starters, though, I believe you can ride horses in the area around San Cristobal de las Casas and there's no shortage of culture to discover.

Cheers.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 6th, 2009 04:36 AM

Stay away from "El Beacho" (Mex for "beach") and you will be hard pressed to find another tourist, outside Teotihuacan. Okay, maybe a couple in Oaxaca. And a community in San Miguel, both of which are still great destinations.

You can find culture by the bucketful just about everywhere. What sort of adventure did you have in mind? There's hiking and mountain climbing in the interior, snorkeling, scuba, sailing, surfing and and fishing along the coasts.

Some great small cities to get you started: Merida (Yucatan, easy access to Mayan ruins and a few hours from the coat. Head south of Playa for less touristy beaches), Oaxaca, a beautiful city with Zapotec and Mixtec ruins nearby, as well as local craft villages, Guanjuato, north of Mexico City, is a gorgeous city in the mountains. Lots of easy daytrip to San Miguel, hiking, mine exploring, etc nearby.

qwovadis Jan 6th, 2009 05:05 AM

Oaxaca Mexico Tours And Travel Services
The complete city guide to Oaxaca; find tours, travel services and things to do. ... Tierraventura...All kinds of eco and adventure tours. ...
www.allaboutoaxaca.com/toursandtravel.htm

suze Jan 6th, 2009 06:36 AM

Even in the more touristed areas, it's easy enough to get away from the crowds by where you choose to stay and what you choose to do.

I vacation every year in Puerto Vallarta, for example, and you can't get much more "touristy" than that. But there is a lovely Old Town area, plenty of the city that is untouched by tourists, all you need do is walk inland away from the beach, and stay off the booze cruises.

That said, I'll suggest La Paz on the Baja, sea of Cortez side. It's a lovely Mexican town. There is kayaking, camping, snorkeling, diving, that kind of thing going on.

One thing to realize is when you go places without tourists, you also lose many ammenities like local people who speeak English, places to change money, restaurants, etc.

Realize that most Mexican people are not out there doing "adventure & outdoor activities" generally speaking, so takes a certain amount of tourist infrastructure to have these things available.

Do you speak Spanish?

Stewbear Jan 6th, 2009 08:07 AM

First Beach in Spanish is La Playa not ElBeacho. Plus their is no language called Mex!
Now if you want areal non tourist experience I might suggest the state of Michoachan. Wonderful sights including sophisticated large clean cities (IE Morelia) Butterfly preserves near by with literally Millions of monarchs, the home of Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead) fête in Patzcuaro. It is a most lovely small city with wonderful shopping & is surrounded by a sting of villages each with a special craft.
Near by is Tingambato with an archaeological site including a small pyramid. Signage in English. Also Uruapan with a marvelous national Park filled with waterfalls, cataracts, flora & fauna. In that area is a San Jose that was buried under a volcano eruption except for the church's steeple. Less than 4 hours away is Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo a fabulous beach community still very Mexican.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 6th, 2009 08:31 AM

Stewbear --

"First Beach in Spanish is La Playa not ElBeacho. Plus their is no language called Mex!"

I hope you realized I was joking!

FD

Stewbear Jan 6th, 2009 09:03 AM

Lo Siento but Insulting a proud country in jest is in very poor taste IMO!

Fra_Diavolo Jan 6th, 2009 09:39 AM

"Insulting a proud country in jest is in very poor taste IMO!"

Ah, but who was insulted? It was meant as a parody of the stereotypical tourist, not the country of Mexico (which I am very fond of), nor its language, of which I am an inept student.

pat Jan 6th, 2009 09:49 AM

Just went and stayed in Merida. I was surprised that not many people spoke English. I enjoyed Mexico much more than just being on the coast, which is more touristy.

AngelaS Jan 6th, 2009 10:37 AM

I really appreciate all the tips. By 'adventure & outdoors activities' I mean kayaking, snorkeling (currently don't dive but would like to learn), zipline, hiking, etc. We speak Portuguese & can get along with the Spanish just fine so I'm not concerned about people not speaking English. In fact I love going to countries with a language guide & learning new phrases!

suze Jan 6th, 2009 11:38 AM

That's my point above... to find kayaking, snorkeling, ziplines you'll need to go to a somewhat touristed area (it takes visitors to support these types of businesses). Hiking I guess you could be able to find on your own using maps or a guidebook.

Stewbear Jan 6th, 2009 05:02 PM

"Insulting a proud country in jest is in very poor taste IMO!"

Ah, but who was insulted? It was meant as a parody of the stereotypical tourist, not the country of Mexico (which I am very fond of), nor its language, of which I am an inept student.

Well My Mexican Daughter-in-law for one is insulted!
I am truly sorry you are so insensitive that you think such comments are not insults to Mexico & it's people. You are Way Off Base IMO! Just farther proof about the number of horses & their A$$es.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 7th, 2009 04:53 AM

I have already explained that the target of the jape was the ignorant visitor who might mouth such sentiments. Your inferior reading skills are not my problem. You appear to be one of those people able to summon indignation at will. Enjoy yourself.

Stewbear Jan 7th, 2009 07:27 AM

You continued protests & childish attempts to insult myself are but farther proof of you insensitivity & boorishness. My final word.

AngelaS Jan 8th, 2009 06:14 AM

I think everyone needs to relax here..

suze Jan 8th, 2009 06:48 AM

I prescribe a trip to Mexico!
:-)