Adventure activities around/in Oaxaca.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and daughters will be doing a half day cooking class in Oaxaca in January, My 15 year old son and I thought we might look for something a bit more strenuous or exciting, any suggestions ?
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM

You might be interested in Hierve de Agua. We took a bus from the 2nd class station to Mitla, then a collectivo to Hierve de Agua. The road up to Hierve was something else - it's only 13 km or so, but it took 50 minutes. There was another road, but apparently it passes through a village, and the villagers block it to traffic. So this is a new road that's being constructed - it was very very rough. Once there, there are amazing views with some hiking - it's kind of springs that feed pools and there are cliffs overlooking the area. I did go in the water and that was fun.

I'm glad we went there, but it was an exhausting experience. The main problem was the collectivo - 2 Swiss guys were also going there, so there were 4 of us. The driver wanted more passengers, so he waited and drove up and down the street and through the market for an hour. Finally we said we'd pay double. Coming back, there were more people so it wasn't a problem. I can see why the guy wanted more passengers - that road would be very rough on his vehicle (which was definitely not 4 wheel drive).

BTW, where are your wife and daughters doing the cooking class? We stayed at Casa de los Sabores, where the chef from La Olla teaches her classes. I didn't take a class, but others did and they really enjoyed it. (I do know that the breakfasts at the B&B were wonderful!)
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Marko: (you may already be aware of this), but just remember that whenever using a personal driver or non-metered taxi, that you should always negotiate the price before agreeing and getting in the car. We were in Puebla a couple of weeks ago, and my poor ol' husband got quoted $90 USD for a partial day (going whimsically going wherever we wanted). The dear hubby is 6'5", blonde hair, blue-eyed, and speaks minimal Spanish...needless to say, he was an obvious target (our room wasn't even $90). Once I arrived on the scene (and they realized that I was a little more espanol-savvy than my significant other), they quoted me 600 pesos for a half day. I negotiated down to 400 for the full day; the driver agreed, and we had the best time in Tlaxcala! He was also very informative (a lot of drivers like to play tour guide---which is fine with me!), and ended-up shopping, touring, and eating lunch with us! We liked him so much, that we ended-up giving him around 700, and even used him for the next day! I always make an effort to be friendly (give them bottled water, etc.); most enjoy showing tourists the locale, and they know that negotiating is all part of the deal!
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Susan, "Iliana de La Vega is the charming owner and chef of the restaurant El Naranjo." is the one we are trying to book.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:57 PM

Marko: there is a nice bicycle shop on Garcia Virgil (about 4 blocks from zocalo)that can arrange fun tours. We have done the circular route around Monte Alban, which takes you along the river, then through Atzompa (green pottery)and up a steady climb to Arrazola (alebrijes)then down to Cuilapam (beautiful convent) then its a staight shot back into Oaxaca. It is 35k. It should take 3 - 4 hours. So yes you can build up a good sweat in Oaxaca. If you need a quick exercise fix, try running up the "escaleras del Fortin" on Crespo past the Guelaguetza stadium and eventually up to the cross. Buen Viaje!
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Nice suggestions, thanks people.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
wj1

Hi Marko.

My husband and I attended a cooking class at Seasons of My Heart in Oaxaca. Here's their website:

http://www.seasonsofmyheart.com/

This was a blast. They pick you up and take you to a traditional market and buy items for the comida that you will be cooking later in the day. You will also have the opportunity to try items at the market you would have never tried on your own. You have lunch at the market than go back to the chef's, Susanna Trilling's ranch, for the actual cooking class.

The people at the class were some of the most enjoyable people I've met and we all had a blast. There were some people who weren't really interested in cooking and they could either lay in the hammock or go off exploring on the ranch grounds. Cold beer and juice drinks were available. At our session, two kids (a boy and girl) attended with their parents and also had a great time. It was like partying and preparing a meal with friends.

We spent 8 nights in Oaxaca and loved it. We did just about everything available to us and the cooking class was a high point.

Just thought I'd pass it along. Have a great trip.
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM

There's lots to do in the Oaxaca valley that your son might enjoy take him up to Monte Alban to run around onthe ruins. Yagul is another good place. besides the ruins there is a substaintial hill behind them with trails up it and a great view down the Oaxaca Valley. There are lots of places someone that age might enjoy.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Don't hit me !!! But what is the go with ZIP lines and are their any near Oaxaca ?? Another silly question, we are both anglers is there anywhere nearby we could spend a morning wetting a line. ( Can you tell I want to avoid the cooking )
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

ttt