Search

Active Mexican Holiday

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Active Mexican Holiday

My husband and I are planning our first visit to Mexico and were hoping for some suggestions of active vacation spots. We kayak, dive, snorkel, hike, and love a good historical tour. We're not thrilled about the idea of a highly commercial or Americanized resort and don't do shopping for fun. We really want to experience the culture, the food, and see the sights without breaking the bank. Can we do all this and stay close to a nice beach in Mexico? Any recommendations would really help!

Thanks in advance,
Ryan & Laurel in Colorado
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM

You might check out the State of Colima a couple of hours South of PV. Much more laid back with small beach villages such as Melaque/Barra. Great Colonial city in Colima it's self (along with it's semi active volcano) & of course the Real Mexican port of Manzanillo but with a lovely beach area with great little Inns such as The Posada far & away my Favorite! Check it out!
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Sure you can do it. The thing is, Mexico has thousands of miles of coastline, and there's LOTS of opportunities for every kind of beach for every kind of traveler. You don't *HAVE* to stick to the "popular" destinations.

I think Zihuatenejo could be just about perfect for you, if it weren't for the fact that it's not exactly close to any significant historical sites.

Perhaps an even better option might be to seek out a less-developed area of the Caribbean coast (like Puerto Morelos, or even Isla Mujeres), and try to work a combination of non-mega resort with trips to Tulum, Coba, Chichen-Itza etc.

There's also more "off the beaten path" places that might interest you --- like Isla Holbox for the totally non-commercial beach scene with a driving route through Merida, Uxmal, the Puuc Hills sites, etc.

Good luck!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about La Paz, on the Baja, Sea of Cortez side?
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sidenote, to find places offering kayak, dive, snorkel, activities it will necessarily be somewhat more commercialized in being set up for tourists.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM

All good advice, but a group with similar needs/avocations loved Costalegre several months ago and gave great feedback: www.costalegre.ca
or www.tomzap.com
Buen viaje.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I'd vote for La Paz/Baja Mexico or Zihuatenejo, too.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM

loworose - my husband and I just returned from Tulum, and I think it represents all that you're looking for in a getaway. If you click on my username you can see the trip report I just posted. Easy flight into Cancun, quick drive (90 min) down the road, and you're in paradise. There are many affordable lodging options, beautiful beaches, great places to eat and soak up the local culture, and MANY activities...none of which will break the bank. And, not at ALL "Americanized."
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Cvechko

Check out the Danzante at http://www.danzante.com/. It is in a somewhat remote location ans sits on the Sea of Cortez.

We stayed there in February. It is a neat little place, off the path of tourism, has the activities you mention, and has a true feel of "real" Mexico.

It's all inclusive (no choice - there are no other restaurants close) and the food is EXCELLENT! I did not know that I liked Mexican food until I ate there.

Another plus: It is a Fodor's Choice.

Will be glad to answer any other questions.