Search

Mata Chica, Belize info?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:17 PM
mel

Mata Chica, Belize info?

Anyone ever vacationed here? Is it the most luxurious place on Ambergris Caye? Any better places in the area for r&r/good restaurants? <BR>Thanks in advance...

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:41 PM
gina

I was also looking into booking Mata Chica until I found out that "Temptation Island" is being taped there. I assume it will either be over-run or the price will sky-rocket. I have been told, however, that it is one of the three best places to stay. I'm torn now.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 03:25 PM
iza

Overrun maybe right. The forums on www.belizenet.com and www.ambergriscaye.com both reported that internet traffic on both of these websites as well as the websites for Mata Chica and Captain Morgan's (the other location used in Temptation Island) increased 40-60% since the airing of the first two episodes. <BR>By the way, if you have not checked them out yet, both of the above websites have great forums with a lot advice and recommendations.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:21 PM
DB

I have to admit that I watched both episodes so far and Ambergris Caye looks nicer than I imagined (or else it's just good selective camera work). The second episode looked more like a video put out by the Belize tourist board.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:24 AM
Susan

I really enjoyed my 2 weeks in Belize - we went to Ambergris Caye, Placencia (which I wasn't so crazy about) and San Ignacio in the interior. I tuned into Temptation Island to see the scenery (honest!) and I think some of it selective camera work. We didn't stay in either of the 2 resorts, but they really look beautiful. Belize is an incredible country, but most of it is not upscale (like those resorts). It was fun seeing the scenes in Shark Ray Alley (where I've been) and the ruins (also been there). The beaches on Ambergris are not impressive - although they look great where the show is taped. That's definitely not typical of the caye. <BR> <BR>Overall, though, Belize is worth a visit. The people are incredibly friendly and there is so much to see and do there. It's also worth while traveling around a bit - we had 6 nights in Ambergris, 4 in Placencia (too many) and 4 in San Ignacio.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:32 AM
gina

If you book now, you may escape the post-Temptation Island crowds. Because it is so small, you still have the chance to get in there before any changes are made. I don't know about Mata Chica but apparently the beach at Captain Morgan's is so nice because they shipped finer, whiter sand in from somewhere else to cover the natural beach. Maybe Mata Chica did the same and that's why they look so much nicer on TV than people who know Belize expect them to be. <BR> <BR>Just a thought - I'm still torn but know that if I wait too long, it may not be worth the extra cost.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Katie Valk

Rates at MC have remained the same as before the telecast, which finished shooting in September, so no film crews are there now or will be later. MC has 12 or so beach casitas, which means even when it's fully booked, there's not alot ofpeople around. <BR> <BR>Very well designed, great style, wonderful restaurant, 6 miles up the beach from town, quiet and they offer all land and water trips in Belize. I've bookedplenty of people there who have all been hapy and I love jumping on a boat and going up for dinner. <BR> <BR>Only other upscale accomodations on the same island would be Victoria House, which is a few miles from town and one of the better beachfront inns in Belize. <BR> <BR>Capricorn restaurant is also very good and there's another french-thai restaurant a few miles from MC as well. More nice restaurants in town. <BR> <BR>Katie Valk <BR>Belize

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:24 AM
gina

Katy, I think the concern is more for what will happen AFTER the show finsihes airing. There was alot more interest in the South Pacific after "Survivor" finished last year I guess because people couldn't get their weekly fix of the island via tv so they started to think about going there. Since there were no American standard resorts on the island, tourism didn't escalate but there are now 2 resort developers looking to build large "Sandals-like" resorts on what was an almost deserted island.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Katie Valk

Let's hope any Sandals type resorts are a long way off for us here. Our average hotel has 12 rooms and I think people most enjoy the intimate atmosphere and chance to get to know the other guests and Belize people they con into contact with. Til then, we're still a nice friendly country and different than other vacation options. <BR> <BR>Katie Valk <BR>Belize

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Susan

The travel section of the NY Times has a good article on Ambergris Caye today. You might want to check it out.