Acapulco - hotels & safety

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Marianna

Acapulco - hotels & safety

Am planning a holiday in Acapulco & considering Hotel Copacabana. I want a hotel that does not have too many couples or families.
I am a single (slightly older) female who wants to relax on the beach by day, sight see and party at night. I want to be able to move around day or night on my own (if need be) and feel safe. Looking for a really fun holiday in January.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Dan

Spent a week in Acapulco (Costa Club)last Feb. Not a bad location but the water in the bay is poluted with raw sewage. As far as enjoying your safety, as allways it is prudent NOT to venture alone at night especailly being a female. We found Acapulco to be generally safe and enjoyable.

Acapulco is fairly lively with many bars etc to satisfy your evenings but you may feel more comfortable lounging around the pool!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Susan

Have you considered Puerto Vallarta? It is smaller scale, safe and local people are very friendly. Especially in the 'normal' Mexican hotels in Old Town (not the high-end resorts) it's not overrun with families or kids. I'm 48 single female american and vacation there 1-2 times each year. I walk on my own any time, day or night, within the 'southside' neighborhood.

Never been to Acapulco so can't compare.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:24 PM
erica

That Hotel attracts the younger crowd, very popular at spring break, so if partying is what you desire, you are in the right place.

About safety at that hotel, it has beach front and security is everywhere. A little heads up though because it also sits back from the main street and down a quiet road, not much traffic and there could be safety issues walking at late hours alone, male or female.

I guess you could relax somewhat at that beach but the peddlers will try your patients after a time. There are better beaches if solitude is what you're after.

A little pampering and a milk bath at Villa Vera Spa will be time better spent, but if you must tour, the bay cruise is worth the effort and you may like the jungle tour on the lagoon.

shopping, malls are very elagant and air-conditioned, try Plaza Bahia or La Grand Plaza.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Marianna

Thanks for your replies.
Susan, I have stayed at Puerta Vallarta before and I am always keen to try new places. Also I have always wanted to see the Cliff Divers so feel I am achieving 2 aims. One a beach holiday and to see something I think (and hope) will be something special.
Erica, I have been to many places with beach peddlers and yes, whilst they are annoying, I prefer to stay in a busier part of town simply because I get bored lying on the beach on my own and love to watch all the happenings!
As to my safety I appreciate your comments about the location of the Copacabana as to walking from there so am actively researching some other hotels.
Any other comments for hotels etc and nightlife for an older BUT a lot of fun female would be again appreciated.
Marianna