Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   About to book Bosque del Cabo, a few questions first. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/about-to-book-bosque-del-cabo-a-few-questions-first-795331/)

amyet Jul 13th, 2009 02:37 PM

About to book Bosque del Cabo, a few questions first.

Hi everyone. It looks like there are several repeat visitors to BdC. I have done a ton of reading and it looks wonderful there. I am ( nervously )about to book six nights there for my husband and myself in February. The only reason I say nervous is because I'm afraid of waking up with a snake in my room. I know, not too likely to happen, but.. Anyway, here are my questions:

I will be booking a deluxe cabin. I know they can't guarantee a specific one, but I'd thought I might ask. I read great things about the Congo and the view is amazing. However, I read in one post that the shower wall is a little bit low. My husband is well over six feet tall and I know he will feel a strange seeing people walk by while he is showering. Can anyone recommend which cabin might have the most private shower, or tallest wall? I know, strange question.

We will be there the first week of February. It looks like the weather will be pretty nice. Can anyone comment on sleeping weather. Is there a nice breeze from the ocean?

Finally, has anyone seen whales from the beach? I just love marine mammals. If I could see a whale and monkeys all in the same week, well, that would be amazing.

Thanks for all your help! I'm so excited!

volcanogirl Jul 13th, 2009 03:06 PM

We stayed in Tucan and really loved it. It has a nice view and shower walls that are appropriately tall. It also has an outdoor bathtub, which I loved! Mariposa is another nice one - on the end so it has more privacy than the others, and it also has a tub. Congo and Lapa look out on the arched rock formation, so some people love those. We were there in July; temps at night were in the low 80s, but they have little plug-in fans in the room. We got pretty hot and sticky during the day, but the outdoor showers and pool are great for cooling off.

tully Jul 13th, 2009 04:51 PM

I don't remember feeling exposed at Congo, I'm 5'9 so I would recall if I thought I was mooning anyone. It's set an a slight angle, so I guess if someone at Lapa was at the end of their porch, and if they were leaning over and waiting for you to run up the 2 steps, there is a brief second where they might spy you, but that's a lot of ifs! Mariposa is at the end as vg mentions, very private and often had monkeys above; the view is good but maybe not as dramatic as Congo or Lapa.

Never been in Feb, sorry, but they do have tiny little fans that while small do help and it is on a bluff, so you should get some breeze.

Not sure on the whales but I'd think you'd have a better chance spotting them from your deck than the beach. Monkeys you will have no shortage of. Have a great trip!

volcanogirl Jul 13th, 2009 05:21 PM

We saw all 4 kinds of monkeys right away - monkeys galore! I'm pretty conservative by nature, but one day my husband was out on our BdC porch and yelled for me to come see something amazing. I ran out in just a t-shirt and underwear without even thinking about it. Lo and behold there was also a gardener out there on the side of our cabina. He demurely looked the other way while I slinked back inside. You kind of get the feeling that you have the place all to yourselves.

I can't imagine that anyone can see much of anything in the showers, and I don't think anyone is really looking. I think you'd be okay with any of them. People don't stroll up really close to the cabins.

owlwoman Jul 14th, 2009 06:46 AM

We stayed in Mariposa, I'm also 5'9, DH is 5'11, no issues with privacy (except for when the gardeners were around during the day). View from this cabina is also fabulous. We were there in Feb., it was hot/humid, but not unbearable. It cools down enough at night to sleep comfortably with the fans.

6 days, aren't you lucky, welcome to the BDC fan club!

janenicole Jul 14th, 2009 07:11 AM

We've stayed in both Congo and Mariposa. Mariposa feels very private - only the monkeys watching you shower. But we had a much better breeze and better fan in Congo (also the great view). The better breeze might be attributed to just different weather patterns during each trip. My hubby is 6'2", and never felt exposed in the shower in Congo. That would be my vote!

plumboy Jul 14th, 2009 08:19 AM

I have to second the breeze in Congo. Haven't stayed in other cabins, but I do think the breeze you get in Congo might be slightly special -- due to the completely open 'tunnel' down to the ocean, which also attributes to the amazing view. Maybe Lapa has that too? We used the little fan at the head of the bed at night and found ourselves getting a little chilly at night -- this was in March.

We're only 5'7 and 5'9, so can't speak about the shower -- it was perfectly fine for us. I think everyone is very good about respecting the privacy of other cabins -- it's an unspoken ethic.

amyet Jul 14th, 2009 02:34 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. Looks like there is no issue with the showering. I am going to request the Congo cabin, fingers crossed, but I'm sure anything there is great.
Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.