Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   A June trip to Peru (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/a-june-trip-to-peru-207423/)

Marlene Jan 26th, 2003 11:13 AM

A June trip to Peru

We are in our late 60s and would love to visit Cusco, Machu Pichu and perhaps Lago Titicaca. Is altitude a real problem for our age? Is there a lot ot walking? we are in good condition considering our age but worry a little bit. Any one has used Myths and Mountains as a tour? Thank you!

karin Jan 26th, 2003 03:35 PM

My husband &I were there in recently. Yes, we both had a problem with altitude sickness. It did not stop us from doing things, put I was very uncomfortable. Could not sleep, could not get enough oxygen in my-my finger nails were purple. Cusco is at 11,000feet & other destinations are higher. Enjoyed the views but, would not go again because of the altitude.

Kath Jan 27th, 2003 05:50 AM

I just returned a few weeks ago. I saw LOTS of people your age all over the place up there. I had one bad night, the first night there, where I had a bad headache and that was it. There is a presecription drug available, I think it is called Diamox, that helps with altitude sickness. Also, while you are acclimating, don't drink alcolhol, don't eat big meals, and get plenty of rest. One thing you could do is fly in Cusco and then go straight to the Sacred Valley or to Macchu Picchu and get acclimated there as they are lower than Cusco. Titicaca will be tough no doubt. I would spend time in Cusco acclimating before I went there. Good luck.

Scooter Feb 2nd, 2003 11:51 AM

Marlene,<BR>We were in Peru in September and saw lots of people in their 60's and beyond (we're 47 and 72). Yes the altitude may be a problem. I would suggest lots and lots of water, lots of rest, smaller meals, and just go easy. Lake Titicaca is where we felt the most effects from the altiude, and particularly on Taquile Island (it's a 3hour boat ride, and then an hour or so hike to the village). However, Uros Island is very easily reachable. There is lots of walking, however, most tour groups (if you are going with one) are in tune with the altitude situation and go slowly.<BR>It's an experience not to be missed. Try also to go to Iquitos and down the Amazon to one of the jungle lodges. That was the best!<BR>We used the company South American Expeditions (www.sae.com) and found them to be great. Happy travels.

janelp Feb 18th, 2003 01:24 PM

Marlene, we were there last June and we are in our 60's. No problem. But a younger woman with us did have some difficulty. So--not sure age is the factor. Our guide took loving care of her and she was soon fine. Guess unless you have experienced the problem before there is really no way of knowing who will be affected. We were in Tibet--higher than Cusco (but Titicaca is pretty high)--in October and again no problem. So, don't let your age get you down. If you are interested, check my website www.janeandken.com for pictures and a report.

kindredspirits Feb 19th, 2003 10:43 AM

Although I went 7 years ago, the altitude is still there I am sure. My advice, get off the plane and quickly check in to your inn and go to the nearest bar for some cocoa tea. I was there for some time and cannot praise the benefits of that tea enough. Stay there in Cusco for a few days then take the morning train into MP. Good luck. The restaurant at the top of MP is expensive so bring some nibbles!