Search

A few things I learned my first trip to CR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few things I learned my first trip to CR

1) After you pack, take half of it out! The best things I packed:

moisture wicking, quick drying tops and pants (the kind that zip off to make shorts) - hand wash easily in shower, will dry by next day if under A/C or window with sunshine

Long sleeved Columbia shirt with adjustable roll up sleeves

Moisture wicking sports bras (even for those of us who need "extra" support)

Merrell aqua/hiking shoes with removable insoles

Packs of facial cleansing cloths

Small, high powered flashlight

First aid kit (we used everything in it) and tube of antibiotic ointment

Light weight fanny/shoulder pack with just enough room for water bottle, camera, sunscreen, and laminated wildlife guides

Bullfrog 35 SPF gel with Deet

Small, powerful binoculars

Digital camera with extra or rechargeable batteries

Inexpensive rain poncho

Collapsible duffel bag for souvenirs

2) In all of the more populated areas, almost everyone accepts US $$. With the exception of some parts of San Jose, most merchants, store clerks, etc will give you the exact, honest amount of change in colones; there is no need to exchange money at the airport. There are also many places to obtain money using ATM's and most places accept VISA; many take MC as well. Even in smaller towns and villages, there is usually a bank or grocery store with an ATM. While we were there, the colon = roughly $1 US.

3) Knowledge and the effort to speak even a little bit "un Poquito" of Spanish will take you a very long way in the eyes of the Ticos. It's sometimes intimidating to try, as most of the Costa Rican people speak much better English but, believe me, they are delighted with and truly appreciate you making the effort!! In 2 weeks my Spanish improved tremendously, due to the loving correction and instruction of my new Costa Rican friends.

4) Read the advice on these forums and hire guides for those places where it is advised that you do so - it may make the difference between a truly memorable experience and a great disappointment.

5) Slow down, take your time, enjoy the place you are in at the moment - we had some of our best experiences standing still on hiking trails and watching and listening to the wildlife around us.

6) Try the fresh fruits and vegetables - Whole Foods can't compare with the green farming techniques used by the people of Costa Rica - this is a people who have not only embraced and understand the importance of a green lifestyle to their economy and way of life - they insure it is continued by teaching their children in the schools how to be true stewards and conservationists to protect the treasure that is their country.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Roughly, 500 colones=$1 U.S.

This is a great packing list--we love our Columbia shirts and zip offs. The Bullfrog 35 SPF with Deet sounds like a good deal--thanks for the tip!

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Great advice, flapenny! Very useful for people planning a first visit to CR (or other parts of Central America).
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks flapenny. I leave in less than a month, and this is exactly the kind of information I need.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 04:57 AM
m_v

Thanks for the info. We are leaving for CR in 3 weeks (our first time) and this list is very helpful.
One questions, thoguh, did you take anti-malarials while you were there?
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

No - didn't feel there was a need and most health care professionals will tell you the same (I've been an ER/ICU nurse for over 30 years). Potentially more chance of me getting malaria here at home in south Florida!! Only real disease to be aware of - note, I did not say worry about - is dengue fever in certain parts of the country. There is no prophylaxis for it, so use common sense and use your Deet for mosquitoes.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
m_v

Thanks! We will bring lots of mosquito repellent and a mosquito bed net for sleeping so hopefully that will be enough.