Search

A Different Kind of Experience in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Different Kind of Experience in Costa Rica

http://www.ticotimes.net/travel.htm

Check out this link from today's Tico Times travel story. For those who are looking to absorb more of the culture and get away from the tourist sectors, El Progreso Farm might be of interest.

It appeals to me, particularly since that same area is the home of Patricia Ericson, one of my favorite artists (Guapiles). I've thought many times I'd like to visit her studio and a couple of days in the general area at a place like El Progreso would be pretty interesting!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Jill,

I know we can't do this on our May trip, but I'm saving this for the future. I'd love for my husband to get a taste of campasino life as I remember it from my earliest days in Costa Rica.

I clearly recall collecting rain water to do laundry and candle-lit evenings. We built a solar panel to heat water, a bio-digester for methane to cook with (used coffee pulp), and had a ram pump to get water up the hill from a year-round spring.

We eventually went on the electric grid, but used it only for lighting and to power a washing machine. Boy was I glad to have that. With a little one cloth diapers doing all my wash in a terra cotta pila got old fast.

But reading about El Progresso took me back. Thanks for posting.

19 days to go! By this time on the 9th we'll be in the air on our way from Atlanta to SJO. Can hardly wait.

Fran

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the link.

My husband and Orlando stayed in a place similar to this near Dominical about 2 years ago. I believe there are several of them now. Orlando wanted to check it out for a possible idea of what he might do with his property south of San Isidro. Unfortunately, my husband got violently ill from intestinal problems right after they left. There is a similar type place on the Nicoya and it is nice to know there is now one up around Barra Colorado.

Patricia Erickson is quite a colorful painter. I particularly like her reasoning for not putting faces on the people.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'd love to invest in one of her originals!

Although the "guest as workers" was not a factor, El Progreso, in nature, reminded me of our stay last summer at La Carolina, up near Bijagua as well. It was a fabulous experience. A couple of nights long enough, but truly unique.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM

This sounds wonderful! I would love to take my children for this kind of experience.