Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   9 hours in Cozumel, Mexico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/9-hours-in-cozumel-mexico-432791/)

hlin May 17th, 2004 10:15 PM

9 hours in Cozumel, Mexico

We, two mid-aged and one 6 year old girl, will take royal caribbean cruise to Cozumel at the end of August. The ship will stay there from 10am to 7pm.This is our first trip there. We are not sure where is the best place to go in such short time, and whether go with the tours from the ship or wonder around by ourselves. Please give us some advice. Thank you.

Diana May 18th, 2004 04:26 AM

Suggest you put Cozumel in the search window and do a search.

My short list for a day:
1. Day at Chankanaab snorkeling, swimming, lunch and relaxing
2. Day trip on ferry to Playa del Carmen
3. Shopping downtown with must do stops at Pama and Los Cinco Soles with lunch at Diamond Cafe
4. Rent a jeep and do a circle of the island - stopping at Mezcalito's for lunch.
5. Spend a day at one of the less crowded beaches lazing in the sun, and have lunch there.
6. The Wild Tours ATV jungle/beach tour.

I would NOT recommend the ship tours. They charge much more than what you will pay doing it on your own, and they cram far too many people on whatever activity it is they're doing.

TC May 18th, 2004 06:36 AM

HLIN, Send me your email address and I will forward my things to see and do in Cozumel. We spend several weeks there every winter. Give me an idea of your likes and what the 6 yr. old will want to do. Are you beach people? Do you like to snorkle? Can she swim - well? Are you shoppers? What kind of food do you like? Is the child an adventursome eater? etc, etc.

Send to [email protected] I'll try to help.

lomayalo May 18th, 2004 07:03 AM

Dzul Ha has great snorkeling from shore. It's a short cab ride from any of the piers.

Nachi Cocom is a great beach club. There isn't much snorkeling, but the beach is beautiful and the food is good and inexpensive. The swim up bar is an added perk!

Renting a car and making the loop around the island is always fun. There are many beaches, bars and restaurants to stop at along the way.

Chankanaab is more commercial but still very nice - especially if you are interested in doing something like the Dolphin or Sea Lion discovery program. Might be fun for your 6 year old.

Snorkeling and/or snuba trips are plentiful. Don't book through the ship though. Typically they charge a lot more than what you would pay with an independent tour operator.

Look at the travelnotes.cc website under "Things to Do" for more recommendations!

RobertSDF May 20th, 2004 10:32 AM

I would either rent a jeep or hire one of the "Island Tour" guides you find at the piers. Their prices are set by the local syndicate (union) and these drivers will take you only where you want to go. Avoid the cruise tours--overpriced and crowded.
My favorite place is the east side of the island. No hotels, beautiful beaches and many small beachfront restaurants. My favorite is Chen Rio, by far(go there often--was there last Sunday)--nice beaches or a lagoon area for children with beach palapas, drinks and fresh seafood served on the beach.
Enjoy!

sclubb May 20th, 2004 11:26 AM

I highly recommend Chankanaab. It is a $10 taxi ride to/from the ship (each way and about 10 minute or so from the port) and $10 per adult to get in the park - not sure what it is for kids. I have been there a few times and it is NEVER crowded and they have incredible snorkeling. It is not a place where your 6 yr old can just play in the water as you walk rocky steps to get into the lagoon. They have a nice restaurant right on the beach - no shoes required! - and the chicken fajitas & margaritas are great! The beach is really nice & there are plenty of chairs & palapas for shade (or shelter from the rain). Plus there are bathrooms, lockers & showers here too - a locker is $3 all day. And, they rent snorkel gear for $6 per person. In addition, they do have the dolphin experiences here - not sure how much this is. And, they have a lovely botanical garden to walk through & a recreation of Mayan ruins. While some here say it is still a bit touristy, I think it is one of the most convenient & nicest things you can do as a port of call experience - without paying the costs of the cruise tours or being shuffled around in a huge group. I don't think it is really "touristy" - but I can see why they may say that. It is nice & clean & a great way to spend the day. Any one I've recommended it to has agreed!

RobertSDF May 21st, 2004 05:49 AM

I would agree that Chakanaab can be a great place. However, there are days that it is extremely crowded--it depends on the number of ships visiting and the time of day. (I am in Cozumel once a month and have a friend who is a guide. Many days he avoids going to Chakanaab for this reason)
Having said that, it is a nice place. However, I prefer not to take a chance and instead go to the less touristy east side of the island. Just a matter of personal preference.
Enjoy!