Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

8 days in Costa Rica. Where should we go besides Osa and Arenal?

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very much in need of itinerary suggestions for my upcoming visit to Costa Rica over spring break with my husband and 11 year old son. So far, we are flying to Puerto Jimenez from SJO at the beginning of our visit, then staying for 2 nights on the Osa Peninsula (were hoping for 3 nights, but availability was limited); then at the end of our vacation, we are staying 2 nights in Arenal. There are still three days left to plan. Any suggestions about how to round out this trip, keeping in mind that I will need to travel from Osa to Arenal in the process? The trip is a bit of a splurge already, so I've been trying to figure out whether flying back north is a necessity, given the limited time we have, or whether we should try to save on the airfare and drive up the Pacific coast, making stops along the way. Alternatively, I've wondered about heading to Tortuguero, and adding in a white water rafting expedition. It's hard for me to get a sense of how much time it will take to get to different places. Everything looks deceptively close on the map, but I know the roads can be slow going. Also, does anyone have any thoughts about whether we will find it disappointing not to be staying at a place which will have views of the active side of the volcano in Arenal? Would it be practical to drive from our hotel over to the active side of the volcano one night to see the lava flows? If we do go to Tortuguero, where should we stay? Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I think that if you could spend another 3 nights in Osa at a different hotel and add a night in Arenal that would be my rec. I have a daughter that age and I know we both love those areas. Tortuguero is also wonderful though for a couple nights. I really love Turtle Beach Lodge for it's great location but will be staying at Laguna Lodge this year using often mentioned guides here Fran and Modesto Watson.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM

In Arenal we stayed in Silencio del Campo which has a beautiful view of the volcano, but not the active side. We wanted to drive to see the flow, but it was socked in the entire 3 days we were there. (Our hotel called over to check on conditions for us.) I would add a third night in Arenal for your trip. There is so much to do in the area!
In Tortuguero we did a 2 night package at Mawamba Lodge. We were there during spring break and it seemed very crowded to me. It wasn't the quiet, nature experience I had hoped for. We enjoyed the lodge, grounds, food, tours, and location.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm debating whether to stay longer in Osa or Arenal , as the two of you have suggested, or whether to stop in or near Dominical for two nights en route to Arenal from Osa, or whether to drive straight to MA from OSA and stay in MA for two nights. As much as I would love to go to Tortuguero, it just seems too far for this trip, and I'm already trying to pack a lot in. Any suggestions for a family friendly white water rafting trip that would fit with this type of itinerary (Osa, Arenal, and points in between?) We are planning to stay at Silencio del Campo in Arenal -- I was disappointed that it isn't on the active side of the volcano, but the reviews all make it sound so wonderful, it seemed like the place we should stay. Rpowell, were you happy staying there? Is there a good place to go for lava viewing at night, if you're not staying on the active side? Thanks, again.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:39 AM

We used Rios Tropicales for the Sarpiqui out of Arenal, and it was great - very fun but also very safety conscious.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:45 AM

I was at the AOL on the 27th of Jan. We were so very fortunate to have perfectly clear views of the entire volcano but only saw fiery rocks bouncing down at night. The volcano seems quiet now, no rumblings or lave flows, so don't be so disappointed about where you are staying. I was told by the owner of the Gingerbread restaurant (great food there, by the way)That he's heard from some repeat visitors that they have been there FIVE times and never got to see the volcano top due to clouds. If you have a car and can get around, in the town of Nuevo Arenal is a restaurant at the top of the hill on the left side that has the BEST pizza, and I eat a lot of pizza so am a good judge. Can't remember the name but it starts with an M. I'd try to get to Manuel Antonio if I were you, great beach and swimming. I stayed at Bosque del Cabo on the Osa and found you couldn't swim on either the Pacific side or the Golfo Dulce, but that may not be true of the whole area. Have a wonderful trip, but I'm sure you will. By the way, you may look into hiring a driver as there are 3 of you, compare flight prices, may not be such a difference.

Karen
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM

In 8 days have rented a car

driven up the coast from PJ to Arenal

just drove 3-4 hours or so each day to break up the journey

lots to see Dominical www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.issimosutes.com was nice for the price

also www.hotelvillacaletas.com was amazing north of Jaco

booked on www.sidestep.com for $185/nt

then on to Arenal and back to SJ...

Have fun,
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM

I would really try to add on at least 1, if not 2, nights to the Osa. It's a trek getting there, may as well enjoy as much time as you can there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM

baloney -- I don't think you'll be disappointed with Silencio del Campo -- it's an absolutely fabulous place!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. All your wonderful comments are extremely helpful, although I admit -- my head is swimming with all the possibilities. (I'm sure many people feel this way the first time they plan a trip to Costa Rica.)

Since I expect Osa will the highlight of our trip, staying there another day sounds good, if I can find a reservation. Bosque del Cabo had only 2 nights available, and that is probably all we can afford anyway. Are there other nice options on Osa that are not so expensive?

After leaving Osa, I've been considering the suggestions made here for either fitting in a couple of nights in Manual Antonio (which would mean driving straight from Osa to Quepos (which I think is about 5 hours, correct?) or perhaps adding another night in Arenal (or Monteverde) and stopping on the way there in either the Dominical area or in Savagre (the Mountain Hotel sounds like it would be a good contrast to other places we are going). As much as I think we'd enjoy Tortuguero, it's so far away that I think we'd be spreading ourselves too thin to go there.

I'll need to check out Rio Tropicales for white water rafting; that's definitely something I want to do. Any other suggestions for beginner-friendly white water rafting in Osa, MA, and Arenal or points in between? Is there still a safety issue on the Sarapiqui River since the earthquake?
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM

No, we had no problems whatsoever. We pulled over part way through and ate delicious tropical fruit and had a great lunch at the end. Bring a change of clothes and a towel because there's a shower and changing rooms at the end. They also had a photographer along, and you could buy the cd at the end if you wanted to.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

With the help of this forum, I've finally got our itinerary sorted out. I've opted to skip Manual Antonio, since we're going to Osa, and I've doubled the time we'll stay on Osa to 4 nights. Then we'll stop for one night (too short a stay, I know) at Savegre Mountain Hotel --has anyone stayed there? -- on the long drive from Osa to Arenal. Then 2 nights in Arenal, with overnights near San Jose airport at the beginning and end of the trip. The trip is a little rushed, but this is all that a school spring break schedule would allow!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I know I will soon have the same passion and enthusiasm for Costa Rica that so many of you have obviously developed from your travels there.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM

I spent two nights at Savegre in November - great birding lodge, loved the newer cabins up the hill. It's the easiest place to see quetzals - they are right in the trees outside the cabins. We watched three males vying for the attention of one female - gorgeous!

Try to get there as early as you can to enjoy the high cloud forest hiking trails since you are only there for one night.