7 days in Ecuador-Galapagos or not?

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 02:04 PM
carole

7 days in Ecuador-Galapagos or not?

My husband and I will only have 7-8 days in Ecuador in March and wonder if we should blow the wad on the islands or check out Quito and other sites. Not really interested in the Amazon/rain forest. Seems expensive to tour the islands including airfare, entrance fees, etc. Help?

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Carol

Dear Carole, (fun?!)

I spent 4 months in Equador and I traveled much around the world... You really should go to the Galapagos , it's just awesome!!! Nothing like it! The entrace fee is 100 usd, the flight from Quito is about 300 usd and I can't remember the price for the cruise, but you have to do 5 days ON the boat less than that gets you fustrated! I know it's expensive but trust me it's worth it. I went there in Feb, and there wasn't much people which made the trip even better.
If you need some more info, just e-mail me.
You'll have a great trip what ever you choose because it is a great country!

Carol

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 07:14 AM
Dave

I agree that you should go to Galapagos. Price depends on boat.

Quito and the highlands are interesting, but not worth 7 days. You could also consider Machu Piccu if not Galapagos.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 07:11 PM
adeleh

We spent 10 days in Ecuador.Unfortunetly we diden't do Galapagos and we really regret it.But we did Luna Runtun in Banos that was unforgetable,fabulous,and out of this world.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 03:30 PM
kari

You MUST go to Galapagos! It is a must see. We had a vacation of a lifetime.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Rand

If you limit yourself to Quito and the nearby Andes towns, which I thoroughly enjoyed, you'll be missing something truly awe-inspiring. Even a five-day cruise will give you something of a taste of this once-in-a-lifetime experience. If you want a first-person account of what it's like to be in the Galapagos, feel free to visit my Web site (www.aphraworks.com) and click on the "Galapagos Wildlife" icon at the bottom of the home page. It's a link to an article I wrote for Earth Times. (Caveat: don't bother with the Photo Gallery link, as my photos aren't up yet. I am but a humble freelance writer!)

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 11:04 AM
Carol

My son and I are planning a trip to the Galapagos in March. Sounds like you might have some suggestions for our trip of nine days. Thanks for any help you might give us.
Garry

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 02:33 PM
Rand

You pretty much have to sign up for a cruise with an established tour company to see the Galapagos. People aren't allowed to just wander about the place unsupervised, which is as it should be. I highly recommend Metropolitan Touring in Ecuador--absolutely top-notch, and everyone on staff treated us like welcome guests rather than tourists. The company is Globus's local tour group--for Quito and the rest of mainland Ecuador as well as the Galapagos--but you can go direct to their Web site at www.ecuadorable.com. Lots of good background information also at www.galapagos.org, the US-based nonprofit that supports the work of the Darwin Station in the Galapagos. Let me know if you need more info, and have a great trip!