Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

7 Day Mexican Riviera Cruise or 5 day land vacation in Mayan Riviera?

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do aplogize if I have bugged anyone before regarding my questions but I really hope someone could give me their opinions since we can never make up our minds......

My husband and I are trying to decide which is better between a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise or a land vacation on the mayan riviera. I want beautiful water - preferably crystal clear to swim in. We both aren't fond of flying and it's 4 1/2 - 5 hours flight from Los Angeles to Cancun which seems like an eternity (I've flown it to Florida and Hawaii before so I know 5 hours is long) - but I will do it if it's absolutely worth it. I know the beaches are better on Riviera Maya (Playa, Akumal) than Mexican Riviera.

On the other hand, with the Mexican Riviera cruise we can just drive 50 minutes to Long Beach and hop on the boat with no flying and it would be a $500.00 cheaper vacation with no airfaire. I went on this cruise about 20 years ago but didn't explore enough of Cabo and Puerto Vallarta that much. I like pretty waters to swim and jet ski around in - snorkeling is not a must, just pretty, calm water to swim in. I know PV does not have good swimming water, but is there not some areas around Cabo like Chileno and Santa Maria that are calm & nice? We also both love jungle, mountains and waterfalls which I know PV has.

So if you were in my situation would you fly all the way to Mayan Riviera just for the water (i know they have ruins and parks too) and pay the extra money or would you do the Mexican Riviera cruise?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is one of those personal choice questions, there's no right answer. I'd go to the Mayan Riviera because I've got no problem with a 5 hours flight and it would get you the better beaches you are looking for.

But nothing wrong with the cruise. Just do a little planning and you could get off the boat and see things in both PV and Cabo. The swimming's OK in PV, actually much calmer in more places than Cabo.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM

Agree with suze, personally I love the Riviera Maya and it has the water you are looking for, usually stay in Akumal but for your jet ski fix you need to go to Playa, no jet skis in Akumal, the reef is too close to shore and it would bother the turtles.

Have not done a cruise but keep in mind that if you drink at all, that $500 savings will be gone in no time. Not sure if they charge for soft drinks or bottled water. PV is great and love the many restaurants, spent a week there in September but going back to Akumal in May.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. We are also considering a land vacation in either Cabo/Baja Sur area or Puerto Vallarta as well as the other choices in my original post.

Suze I know you travel to PV alot. Do you know if the Yelapa Falls is good in May? I heard if it's not the rainy season the falls aren't as flowing. Would love to swim around in those if we go to PV instead.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Cruise can be nice but if it is beach you are after you
will have few port days just to do that so makes no sense.
Shortest flight to nice water would be Cabo. Might look at Dreams or Pueblo Bonito Fiesta Americana great hotwire.com deals for me in the past.booking.com good package deals. PV water color/clarity not too good Cancun is very best for me.

Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM

Sorry don't know about the Yelapa Falls in May. I get easily seasick so have never dared make the panga trip out to Yelapa.

But May is a LOVELY time in PV. That was the month of my trip last year. A little past high season, so less busy and lower prices, but not into the summer/rainy season yet, so beautiful weather.

The thing about "nice water" in Cabo is that most places do NOT have a swimmable beach. There's only a few locations where it is safe to go into the water because it is so rough there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM

If you want crystal clear water for swimming, then the Riviera Maya, Cozumel, or Cancun are really your only choices. Beaches on the Pacific side are beautiful, but the water is just not that clear, Caribbean blue you are looking for. So no real contest there.

There are also security issues in some Mexican ports on the Pacific side, particularly Mazatlan. But Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta are safe.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM

Most cruiseship itineraries no longer include the ports with any potential "security issues", Doug. No need to bad mouth the "Pacific side" without reason.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM

I am not bad-mouthing the Pacific resorts in Mexico. I am stating facts. Mazatlan, which is still a port of call for many cruise ships, has some serious crime problems in addition to greatly expanded police presence to protect vacationers. Just a fact of life, so I'm sorry you don't like the rising crime in many formerly placid and wonderful resort areas.