Search

oaxaca trip anxiety

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oaxaca trip anxiety

My husband and I have reservations to go to Mexico City Nov23 to 28 and then to Oaxaca Nov28 to Dec 3; but with all the problems they've been having in Oaxaca I just don't know what to do any more. Should I panic and try to change my reservation to go somewhere else in Mexico? Should we try flying to Oaxaca and if it looks bad try to get in a bus somewhere else.
We were looking forward to this trip so much and now we are just plain worried, we are pretty experienced travelers but we don't want to spend our vacation being scared the whole time.
Does anybody know if it looks like things are going to get better before our trip?
Please, we would appreciate some advice!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I can certainly understanad your concerns. Read this thread (which started in early Sept):
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34866842

I would seriously consider changes your reservation if it's possible, just fro piece of mind.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM

You must not be reading these posts. An American journalist was killed 4 days ago, Presdente Fox closed the airport to commercial traffic and sent in troops. Leftist protestors are blockading the streets. One of the posters suggested this City's problems may go on into the spring. The Fodor posters have given sufficient information, the newspapers have written about the problems; you have enough information to make an informed decision and quite frankly you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I think as a consideration to the government of Mexico, tourists should consider other places to visit until they get the situation in Oaxaca under control. Mexico has other wonderful destinations.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM

The Mexican Federal Police occupied Oaxaca City yesterday under orders from the president. There has been significant damage, fires, and shootings. Search for articles from Rueters. Unfortunately, even if they restore order immediately, I expect the city will be pretty trashed by the time you get there. If it were me, I would substitute Taxco which is easily accesible from Mexico City. My thoughts anyway...
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses. We have been following the events for several weeks thinking that things would go back to normal, but after last night news we thought we have to do something.
So, we try to change our air tickets and it looks very expensive. How far is Taxco? Can we get there by bus?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Three hours- 1 hour to Cuernavaca and two hous after that. Easy to bus from Mexico City. You can take deluxe service that is very nice.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:03 AM

The federal government (finally) decided to act on the Oaxaca situation. It seems that they are slowly getting control of the city. Having said that, I would not go for the time being; you may face unpleasant situations, and you will see but a shadow of Oaxaca's true glory. Many businesses are closed, many buildings have been damaged.

I'd go with Puebla, Cuernavaca, Guanajuato, San Miguel or Queretaro.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:26 AM
emd

The Washington Post had a front page article on the Oaxaca events yesterday, and again today. The pics in the article yesterday were very sad, lots of burned out buses, the army, the place is a mess. And apparently Ruiz won't resign so this could go on for awhile; see the Washington Post story today online about that.

Very very sad. There are other nice colonical towns and they have their different charms, but they are not the same as Oaxaca.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM

Your airline should waive any change fees due to the change in political situation there. If the first agent says no, I would ask for a supervisor.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM

So sad, safe times to all and sundry. Especially the kind folk at Bugambilias.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 03:30 AM

I am sorry for you . I have been in Oxacaca and it is a great choice destination. I also believe your airliner must offer some solution like a ticket to another destination. I heard that Chaipas , south of Oaxaca is even nicer.