Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   6 nights on Yucatan Peninsula - One Day in Cozumel - what do I do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/6-nights-on-yucatan-peninsula-one-day-in-cozumel-what-do-i-do-1667746/)

Adventuregal Jun 1st, 2019 08:40 AM

6 nights on Yucatan Peninsula - One Day in Cozumel - what do I do?

Hello Mexico Aficionados!

I am planning a 6 night 7 day trip with by three childre (19, 15 and 9) to the Yucatan area where my resting place will be in Playa Mujeres, Villa Del Palmar. I plan to visit the ruins (Coba, Chichen Itza, Tulum), some Cenotes (at least two) Sian Kahn, the monkey sanctuary; and I am thinking one day on the island of Cozumel. What would you recommend doing on Cozumel other than snorkeling? Also are there any waterfalls in Mexico--I seek waterfalls in every country I travel to and it would be an honor to visit a beautiful fall on the Yucatan Peninsula.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. We are set to travel into Cancun third week of August 2019!

Adventure Gal!

baldone Jun 1st, 2019 10:48 AM

While I'm not as familiar with the Yucatan as I am with the rest of the country, I do not believe there are any waterfalls of consequence on the peninsula. It's too flat. Chiapas and San Luis Potosi are where you'll find spectacular falls. Veracruz and Puebla too.

jamie99 Jun 1st, 2019 12:54 PM

With only 6 nights and 3 kids, I would limit the visit to one ruin only and I would pick Coba where you can climb the pyramid.
How are you getting to Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve? You need either a rental car or take a tour (most of them are based out of Tulum, such as iTours Mexico).
Enjoy your trip.

suze Jun 1st, 2019 01:13 PM

Have you done trips like this before with your family group?

I ask because to me it sounds like your time is over planned. First getting from and back to Cancun for flights (I'm assuming) for the all-inclusive resort, plus 3 different ruins (several hours drive from where you're staying in two different directions), 2+ cenotes, an animal sanctuary, and adding Cozumel for snorkeling... is an awful lot to try to accomplish in such a short time.

Are you renting a car?

My comments are general planning purposes, I don't know that side of the country but regularly spend time on the Pacific coast. Things move slower in Mexico. You might need or want to as well :-)

schmerl Jun 3rd, 2019 05:22 AM

You mention your "resting place", but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing much resting. I too think there is a bit too much in your itinerary.

tom42 Jun 7th, 2019 06:29 AM

I'd skip Cozumel for this trip, especially if you don't want to snorkel. It will take you a good three hours to get to Cozumel from Playa Mujeres. There is plenty to do on the Yucatan Peninsula to keep you busy for a week.

kja Jun 7th, 2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Adventuregal (Post 16928827)
are there any waterfalls in Mexico--I seek waterfalls in every country I travel to and it would be an honor to visit a beautiful fall on the Yucatan Peninsula.!

As baldone indicated, the Yucatan itself is FLAT -- no waterfalls. There are some stunning falls in the region connecting the Yucatan Peninsula to Chiapas -- Misol Ha and Aqua Azul -- but I can't imagine how you would fit them in to your itinerary.