Search

6 day Costa Rica trip

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 day Costa Rica trip

My S.O and I have planned a trip out to Costa Rica from Thursday, June 30-Wednesday, July 6th. Our flight lands at SJO at 11:50 AM. I'm at a loss as to where to visit. I intended on traveling to Manuel Antonio for 4-5 days but my family (who are all Ticos) is telling me that 4 or 5 days is way too much time to spend there as there is not a whole lot to do/see beyond 2 or 3 days. They're encouraging me to visit Tabacon but I'm worried that we do not have enough time to visit both places, including the round trip travel times for both.
Our flight leaves Wednesday, July 6th at 3:00 PM

Does anyone have any advice as to what we absolutely should do and what we can skip?

TIA!!
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

To be a little more specific, this is what I was thinking:
Thursday: arrive @ SJO 11:50AM- check into hotel in San Jose (maybe SJ Palacio?)
Friday: pick up from SJ hotel early and arrive at MA around noonish
Saturday: white water rafting (this is a must for us, unless someone thinks it's not worth it)
Sunday: MA Park
Monday: Depart MA and head to Arenal (don't know how much $$ this will be. It seems like it might take 8 hours?); check in to hotel and relax
Tuesday: hot springs
Wednesday: depart Arenal early in morning to arrive at SJ airport by 1PM (flight is at 3PM)
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM

I would skip the hotel in San Jose and head straight for Arenal by private transfer or Interbus shuttle. stay in Arenal 3 nights, hot springs, canopy tours, then grab a shuttle or private transfer to Manuel Antonio for the other nights. just split the time evenly between the 2 and you will have a great trip.
Cheers
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM

too add to that, Manuel Antonio is only about 2 and a half hours from the airport, you could take an early transfer and make your 1pm flight fine, spend that last night at the beach instead of an airport hotel...
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Was going to agree with incabod. I don't see a need to stay in San Jose. I am going next month with the same flight times (in and out of Houston?) and we are going straight to MA and will be returning from Uvita.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Totally agree, skip the hotel in San Jose since you're getting in early enough. I think you can do a split between Arenal and MA. It took us about 5 hours to get between the two, and each one is around 3 hours from San Jose. Arenal has tons to see and do - Hanging Bridges, hot springs, Cano Negro tour, rafting, waterfall, volcano, etc.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I'd really want to spend the Thursday in SJO just because my family is all expecting me to visit with them (they are picking us up from the airport). I think if that wasn't the case, we could definately skip. I was also looking into the sesna planes that fly out to MA. Does anyone have any experience with those? It would cut out so much travel time and it's almost the same price as taking the shuttle.

As far as travel times, I found a lot of contradicting info for traveling from one are to the other. The average travel time from SJO to MA seems to be 3.5-4 hours. Is this not typical? Can we really make it there in less time than that?
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM

You can check out Sansa and Nature Air for in country flights; Sansa is located right by the SJO airport. We've been happy with them.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

We're thinking that little flight might be an adventure all on it's own. Anyone else have any experience with Sansa (thanks for the correction VG!) or Nature Air?
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM

I could go either way. There is a lot to do in the Manuel Antonio area. You could easily fill your time there, and save the long drive to Arenal.

But I enjoy Arenal too. Love the hot springs. The nature in this area is different than what you find down by the beach as well.

When we plan itineraries including these two destinations, we recommend at least three days in Manuel Antonio, and two in Arenal. So you are hitting the minimum stays.

One other thing to consider. Since you are spending the last night in San Jose, you have a great rafting option. There are a couple of outfitters that run the Pacuare, Sarapiqui, and Reventazon from either Arenal or San Jose.

They can pick you up early in Arenal and take you rafting. Your luggage stays secure with the driver in the van. You have lunch after rafting. The van from San Jose is there to collect you and your luggage, and take you to your San Jose hotel.

We have been doing this a lot for our clients, and getting rave reviews. It turns a transportation day into a tour day, and frees up another day in your itinerary for other activities. It is also one last big fun experience to cap off your vacation. The Pacuare is perhaps the best run in the country.

Saves you a couple of bucks too. You don't have to pay for a transfer back to San Jose.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM

You can check here for distances and driving times.
www.yourtravelmap.com

Estimated driving times will vary based on how many stops you make for food, photos or bathroom break. Also depends on how fast you drive.

If you decide to drive, please obey all traffic laws and speed limits since traffic fines are huge - think $500.

You can also hire a private driver for about the same price as flying. A good, English-speaking driver will be very helpful in giving you a running commentary and answering questions. One that is highly recommended is www.tucanlimoservices.com

Let me know if I can provide any more information.

HSmith
Costa Rica Resident of many years
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM

The small planes are a fun adventure - we've cracked up at the "security" measures sometimes. In Tortuguero, the plane pulled up, they opened up the bottom and had us put our luggage in, and then they called our names off a clipboard, and we were off. They do have weight restrictions on luggage, so keep that in mind if you use them. Sometimes they'll even weigh you. We've also hired private drivers through our hotels and had good luck with that.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM

I would consider switching your itinerary and do the rafting/transfer option from San Jose to Arenal your first day, fly to MA (longest leg to travel), shuttle (or fly) back to San Jose. Sansa and Nature Air are both fine and Interbus is a good shuttle and the price is right if there are one or two of you. I agree with 3 nights Arenal vs. MA.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I feel as if I'm overplanning a little bit just because I want to be able to see so much (I've been to CR a lot before but not to see the sights). I think the little plane is something we are going to really look into to get to M.A.

I'm also considering Pat's suggestion of rafting in Arenal/San Jose. Pat, a shuttle will pick us up in Arenal, take us rafting, and then take us back to SJO? Do you know the price or where I can get more info? The rafting trip we saw in MA is an all day adventure with breakfast and lunch, a tour and rafting for $95.
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Pat, is this the white water rafting tour you were talking about?
https://graylinecostarica.crshuttles...pacuare-river/
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I like the rafting transfer too - great idea.
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM

You can do a rafting transfer with Desafio - http://www.desafiocostarica.com/ can be done on the Toro river class 3-4 or the Balsa class 2-3 can be done with Rios Tropicales on the Pacuare river http://www.riostropicales.com/ or exploradores - https://www.exploradoresoutdoors.com/
Cheers
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Jo007 - Look at the links incabod posted. You should be able to depart San Jose, raft, be dropped off in Arenal for around $100/pp including lunch.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Those websites look fantastic and are cheaper than the one in M.A. Question though; it seems as if the company will pick you up from your hotel in Arenal. I'm not seeing where they'll go to San Jose for pic up.

Sorry to be such a traveling noob!
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Pretty sure they will pick up and drop off wherever you need to go. Just send them an email telling them the particulars and they should respond. all very good companies.
cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -