5 Nights in Uruguay? Advice Please!

Aug 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

5 Nights in Uruguay? Advice Please!

My boyfriend and I are heading to Argentina in November and we are toying with the idea of spending 5 nights in Uruguay as we enjoy slightly off the beaten path destinations.

We are in our early 40's, enjoy drinking a few cold ones and meeting other people but we are beyond the big party scene. We both enjoy taking photos of beautiful scenery/buildings.

It seems that Montevideo and Punta del Este would be a bit too crowded and more of a party scene. We are looking for alternatives more along the line of peaceful but still with a few places around to drink a few beers and eat some great seafood while not being totally desolate.

Here are some places that have been suggested on another forum:

Kiyu
Nueva Helvecia
Playa Pascual
Punta Colorada
La Floresta
Bello Horizonte

There is not an abundance of info available either written or on the web about these places. Can someone tell me a bit about each/any of these places? I looked at a map and there is a big lake in the middle of the country. What is it like around this lake?

We enjoy small reasonably priced accomodations that are clean and friendly as opposed to large impersonal business hotels. Are there small hotels between Colonia and Montevideo in about the $50 USD price range? Average cost of a casual meal?

We will take the ferry over from BA to Colonia and rent a budget car to get us around. I will get an international permit in the USA before we leave.

We may spend a night in Colonia as it looks like a nice town to chill out in.

We would appreciate any info you can pass along!

Thanks!
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Colonia is worth at least a day, especially if you can stay into the evening after the daytrippers from BA have returned to Argentina. Look at buquebus (or something like that) for info on hydrofoil between BA and Colonia. I haven't been in nearly 10 years, but I do remember pretty good pizza in Colonia.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Colonia will be much more relaxing after the day trippers leave!

I had already checked out the hydrofoil info. Now I just need info on the other areas I have listed.

Cheers!
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM

You will definitely enjoy a day and a night in Colonia. It's one of the cutest towns and it's really romantic, pretty...and just plain nice. I would say to skip Montevideo altogether. There's nothing to see, not very pretty either.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go anywhere else in Uruguay.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I did a little research and it looks like the "lake" I thought I saw on the map is actually the Rio Negro.

Still hoping to hear from some folks who have driven along the coast and stayed in small towns along the way.

Cheers!
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM

La Floresta was interesting and we spent 36 hrs. there 3 yrs. ago. Montevideo is a pass in my opinion, Colonia as stated is worth a day+. Bello Horizonte is in Central Brazil aboult 1200-1500 mi. from where you are. It is a city. Just outside though is Ouro Preto the "City of Gold". It is alarge interesting town and if it was not so far away it is a very interesting day+.You should move your hotel price point up to $75-$90USD to get a nice place with clean accommodations and sanitary facilities. That does not mean they cannot be had for $50-$60 but an extra $150-$175 (for 4 nights) you can really stay at some quaintt places in the small towns.Assuming inflation of 20% in 3 yrs. on food at clean good but not fancy places it will cost $25/day per person with tip at the most.
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stan. And thanks for clarifying that Bello Horizonte is in Brazil! No wonder I couldn't find it on the Uruguay map!

I have been to two book stores and there is not a single book dedicated to Uruguay! There are a few pages in a couple of the South America books but not enough to be of help. There is also very little on the web.

Is Uruguay just one of those countries that people haven't found out about?

Aug 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Colonia is nice
For a laid back atmosphere, beach wise, try Rocha. Also Piriopolis (near Punta ) is calm--that would give you the option of going into Punta just to check it out.
Punta Ballena is nice (check out Casa Pueblo).
Great meat, beer and wine. VERY reasonable!
IF you are in MVD, go to Mercado del Pueblo--for lunch--yummy stuff
You could also look into staying at an "estancia"--some near Colonia, also some of the hot springs (termales)
Nov shouldn't be too crowded (if you go in the early part) and the weather should be nice.
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Hmmm I don't think it's a question about being 'found' -- there's just not much to do or see in my opinion...nothing really appealing about it. It's a smaller version of BsAs. Just my opinion.
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Oceania, are you saying that Uruguay is a smaller version of BA? I find that an odd statement since BA is a city and Uruguay is a country. Hmmm...

Plmrod, thanks for the great tips!
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Uruguay is small, but has its charms.
Does not have majestic mountains, wonderful lake regions, but does have open land, wonderful people, great food, reasonable lodging, etc
Most Uruguayos would be appalled at the comment that it is just a small BA--they don't even like it when you say they have the same accent (which, to my gringa ears, sounds VERY similiar!)
Oh also PUnta Diablo is laid back
try
http://uruguay-travel.suite101.com/a...diablo_uruguay

I have traveled a few times there and have enjoyed it--that said, it is not like other SA countries as I mentioned.

Aug 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Stan, there is also a Bello Horizonte in Uruguay.
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me more about Punta del Diablo? It looks wonderful!