5 day trip to Costa Rica too short?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 women planning to travel for a total of 5 days (this includes our day of flying to our destination and departing). We're mostly focusing on Mexico as our destination but one woman is very interested in Costa Rica. Would this trip be worth it? We'd be travelling from Seattle so it's a long flight. Also, one of the women is pregnant, would there be enough for her to do there?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Hi Jessica - I'm from Seattle too

What do you mean when you say you're focusing on Mexico? Are you planning on combining Mexico PLUS 5 days of Costa Rica, or trying to decide one over the other?

I love CR, but if you have 5 days total, definitely somewhere like Puerta Vallarta would be the way to go. Just not enough time for CR. SEA to SJO is a long flight, and not cheap. If you could add a couple days CR might make sense. What time of year are you going?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Deciding between the two, either Mexico or CR. I pretty much thought the trip would need to be longer in order to be worth it but thought I'd ask for some advice. Thanks for your input, especially since you're from Seattle... it's a hot one today!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and we're going August 20-24 which I know is hurricane season but it's the only time the three of us are all available.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM

The northern U.S. to CR is a whole day of travel each way. Would that cut your actual time down to three days? If so, I personally would save Costa Rica for another time. Taca has a red-eye flight from San Francisco that leaves about 10 p.m. or so, connects in El Salvador to another quick flight that gets to San Jose about 9:30 a.m. They have codeshare arrangements with United, so maybe you could find something that leaves the night before your actual five-day clock starts ticking.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks so much for the reality checks! ;o) I think we'll table this trip until we have more time to enjoy it and do Mexico this go 'round.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Hi. I was trying to decide the same thing. I am in San Francisco and checked out the travel time to Cancun and to Costa Rica. By the time you figure in the lay overs, it was pretty much the same to either place, so I chose Costa Rica. We are taking the red eye out on a Wed. night at 1:00 a.m. and arrive at 9:55 a.m. the next morning, then taking the last flight out at 5:45 back to SF on Sunday. The way our schedule is, we would not be able to get to Costa Rica at the earliest until next year. Especially if your friend is expecting, it might be a few years until she makes it down to Costa Rica. I am probably biased, but I would say what is another hour or so from Mexico. I am really looking forward to our night at Peace Lodge and the waterfalls and butterflies. Then we are flying to the OSA for about 2 days total, since we arrive arount noon on Friday and leave Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Good Luck. Mexico is nice also. We really like Playa De Carmen (sp?) and Excart Eco Park.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM

No problem Jessica. Have fun in Mexico! CR definitely deserves at least a few more days

And yes, whew! It's a scorcher out there!