Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   32 degrees in Cusco? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/32-degrees-in-cusco-384675/)

veronana70 Jun 25th, 2008 02:25 AM

32 degrees in Cusco?

I've been checking weather reports and it is showing that Cusco is hitting a low of 32 degrees at night. Is this right? What's the word from those who have just returned? Is it really that cold? I need to lighten up my backpack and if i can get rid of the cold weather gear, then that would be lovely! Im also going to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Is it a warmer climate there? Also, how warm is it during the day? I live in Philly and am travleing to Cusco on June 27th for 10 days. thank you!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jun 25th, 2008 06:16 AM

Cusco does get that chilly at night this time of year, but that's the low temperature, and like where you live, it hits the low temp of the day in the middle of the night, probably after you are safe and snug back at your hotel. I would take a sweater along to wear under a jacket when you're out in the evening, but it isn't like you have to take a winter coat. At least I never have. Cusco gets into the high 60s this time of year.

The Sacred Valley is at a lower elevation than Cusco, and so it's always a few degrees warmer. Machu Picchu is at an even lower elevation, so by the time you get there, it will seem warm and balmy by comparison. When you're at the ruins themselves, there is little shade and the sun beats down. You'll want a hat with a brim, but by then, you'll be wearing short sleeves.

veronana70 Jun 25th, 2008 02:44 PM

Thanks, Jeff! I just minimized my backpack by 1/4! That is great information, fellow travelor!

JC98 Jun 25th, 2008 04:09 PM

Well, we went in mid May, and had to wear our down jackets at night and gloves and alpaca hats. We're not used to the cold.

You could try to pack light and buy sweaters out there if needed.

JAGM Jun 25th, 2008 05:25 PM

Just returned from Peru a few days ago. All the places we went- Cusco, Sacred Valley, MP, Puno and Lima were warmer than we expected. All of our lodgings had electric heaters, which warmed the room up for night time. We aren't sure if we hit wonderful weather or if it is always that way in June. I would guess the days were 70+ and the evenings about 55-60. I never wore any of my Cuddle Duds (long underware) and only wore each sweater once. I did take a fleece jacket and found my self taking it off/putting it on, etc.

tastravel Jun 26th, 2008 11:46 AM

We just returned and save yourself (and your backpack!) some trouble. Pack layers, but not a heavy coat. We wore a thick fleece at night with a long sleeve tshirt and a wicking type shirt at night...with our new alcapa hats, of course, and were FINE. During the day we ended up in short sleeves! Do not underestimate the sun at that altitude! It got HOT. Take a hat for the day and sunscreen...but no heavy coat.