3 days in MA

Aug 29th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

3 days in MA

What would you say are the best things to do?
Aug 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM

I'd say the best thing to do is go to the National Park to see all the wildlife and swim inside the park too - the beach there is really pretty. We also went sailing and enjoyed that. Snorkeling was a big thumbs down; visibility in the water was really poor. Mangrove tours get high marks.
Aug 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Canopy Safari zip lines was a hoot! Well run and professional. Also white rafting on the Savegre River is scenic and not too scary. I agree that the snorkeling is not great, but surf lessons might be fun. We saw lots of wildlife in the National Park and then relaxed on a beach there for the rest of the day...nice!!
Aug 29th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I totally agree about Canopy Safari ziplines... I did another zipline tour in Monteverde, but Canopy Safari was SO much better -- gorgeous area they do it in, plus they give you breakfast or lunch, which was great. All the guys were super friendly, and we had a blast.

Another great tour (that I hope they still run) is the Rainmaker Reserve guided hike. The rain forest here is different than right off the beach in Manuel Antonio (it's a little higher up, so it's more lush) and there's a beautiful river running through it. They have this amazing "rope" bridge you can walk across (totally safe and incredible).

The mangrove boat tour is wonderful -- I suggest you do this at sunset when it's not as hot, and it's a beautiful time of day to be on the water. You'll see lots of birds, monkeys up close, etc.
Aug 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Several folks have highly recommended the Finca Valmy horseback riding tour. I have not done it myself, but those who have really enjoyed it.

The national park is the big draw in the area and well worth a visit for hiking, swimming and wildlife viewing. We also did the mangrove boat tour and had a very nice time!
Aug 30th, 2007, 04:44 AM

jen - I concur with all of the suggestions above, but would add that a lot depends on when you're going. As you may know, if you go during the Green Season (or as I still prefer, the Rainy Season), don't plan anything around sunsets. We spent a week in MA earlier this month and nary a sunset did we see. And a lot of tours only operate in the mornings during that time, such as sailing, catamaran, mangrove swamp tours, etc. Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely visit during the Rainy Season again (great low season rates and fewer crowds).
Aug 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Good point about sunsets! I agree... sunset would only be good for the dry season. Sorry, I forgot about that point. I live in South Florida and in the summer it pours every single day in the late afternoon/early evening -- pretty much the same as in CR.