2ND HONEYMOON - WHERE TO GO?

Feb 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

2ND HONEYMOON - WHERE TO GO?

My husband and I want to go somewhere special for our 50th birthdays. We have been looking at the Caribbean (we have never been) and Mexico. We can not decide which place would have most of what we would like. We can not afford the ultra luxury resorts, but we do not want bare bones accomodations either; somewhere in the middle, with a little pampering and services. Are all-inclusives the best way to go? We would like to go around hurricane season. Would that be late November? Or what is the best time to go, when hotel rates are not the highest, when crowds are the least, water is still very warm to swim in, and avoiding hurricane season? If any experience Caribbean traveler out there could offer suggestions, we would be so grateful! The things we are looking for include:
1. beautful beaches and the most beautiful blue water; we love snorkeling-would love to do it all day!
2. no cruise ship stopover places
3. places where there are very few/no families with children - peace and quiet
4. accomodations quiet, clean, beachfront room; we do not need a fancy hotel, but one which offers a little pampering
5. plenty of places to find secluded beaches
6. some shopping places would be nice; if we wanted, we can catch a ferry to neighboring island(s) for shopping excursions
7. place that has GOOD alcoholic drinks
8. if we choose to go the island route, would prefer island with lush vegetation and waterfalls, but open to arid islands also
DOES SUCH A PLACE EXIST? THANKS!

Feb 25th, 2006, 11:16 AM

gwenivere,
Last Spring my husband and I stayed at the most romantic B&B in Huatulco (Oaxacan coast): Agua Azul in Residencial Conejos. Only 7 rooms in the whole place, run by a Canadian couple. There is a beach below the inn, they were in the process of building a beach club last year. But we would take taxis to a different beach every day (there are 36 beaches around 9 bays). We ate at a variety of restaurants in La Crucecita and Bahia Tangolunda. Check out their website: www.bbaguaazul.com
We actually stayed in Oaxaca five days, then flew AeroTucan to Huatulco (US$120pp), then flew home from Huatulco. TvrlMaven

Search this Thread