Search

puerto vallarta restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
puerto vallarta restaurants

We have 4 nights in Puerto Vallarta. What would be 4 good restaurant choices for a family of 5? Our children are young adults and used to eating in good restaurants.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Ther are so many restaurants at so many different locations I will give yo9u our favorites, for Italian try Portabello located at the Marina they are very good and very reasonable, There also is a Steak House at the Marina I think it's called Buenos Aires it's not far from Portabello and h=it has steaks that you can see what they are when they present them on a tray for you to pick then they charbroil it, very good. If you want to splurge for seafod then try LaPalapa it is located right on the beach it is our favorite it's a little pricey no more than in the states but we love it. I consider it comparable to a Gourmet Rest. If you are looking to try ribs and chicken there is a local right in town it's a sports bar (it was recommended to my husband & I many years ago it looks a little rought but the ribs are really good. and it's so inexpensive. One more place I am going to recommend if you want to have a wonderful dinner and also splurge here try El Panorama but you must go before susnset and see the sunset from the restaurant it is on top of a small hotel but it overlooks the whole P.Vallarta if you have never been before and you want to splurge try this place the food is excellent the service great this too I would consider gourmet. These places are comparable to the U.S. restauranr for fine dining maybe even less than home. Good Luck wish I was going now but am going in April can't wait.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The sports bar/ribs place mentioned above is El Torrito on Vallarta just south of the bridge into Old Town.

The Red Cabbage, Calle Rivera del Rio 204A, Tel 22-304-11 is a very special tiny restaurant with excellent food.

Cafe de Olla on Basilo Badillo is fun for Mexican food.

Chez Elena restaurant and the rooftop bar El Nido at Matamoros 520 is nice with an fantastic view from the bar and the restaurant tucked down in the courtyard at Cuatro Vientos Hotel.

For fine(r) dining I'm guessing you might be after when you say "good restaurants"... La Palapa down on Playa Los Muertos, Cafe des Artists, The River Cafe, and Trio are all popular choices in the higher-end restaurants.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far (I guess I should also mention that we don't eat beef.) We'll be in PV the days before Xmas, so I'm wondering if I need to make reservations at some of these places now, or is it OK to wait until we get there?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:51 AM

So many new restaurants and others fading away, my favorites are here.
http://vallarta-info.com/puertovallartainsider.html
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Definitely make reservations. The restaurants I recommended previously all have excellent seafood, the only one I wouldn't suggest because you don't eat beef is the steak house. Suze was right the rib place is El Torito. Have a great vacation
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Pretty much any of the mentioned restaurants will have wide selections including fresh fish, seafood, chicken, and some vegetarian choices. So excepting specifically the Argentinian steak house(s) you are not much limited in choices by not wanting beef. Even El Torrito sports bar as mentioned above had great shrimp dishes, fish & chips, nachos grande.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Just remembered another question. What time do most people eat dinner? I'm assuming later than in the U.S.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM

SOOOOO many good places to eat, the possibilities are endless....

Along the Malecon, my favorite is definitely Bodeguita del Medio. The cuban food is great (and affordable), but I also like the lively atmosphere with live music in the evenings and absolutely outstanding mojitos!

Most of the time, I gravitate to the area around Playa los Muertos / Olas Altas, including the restaurant row area. There's something good around here in every price category, and even some cool little coffee shops. There's a couple German restaurants that even have decent imported beers, but if you're in the mood for European food, you could head over to the posh dining room at Maximilians. Even though it's a bit loud and touristy, I thought the coconut shrimp at the Shrimp Factory was absolutely first rate. I'd like to second the nomination of the Red Cabbage --- always a winner with their innovatively traditional Mexican menu. Carnivores will not go wrong over at the Restaurant Brazil, with the churrascaria focus and the endless parade of skewered grilled meats.

And the best thing about 'em is that most of these places are QUITE affordable (which is why I always tell folks that doing an "all inclusive" plan in PVR is *ALWAYS* a bad idea).

Bon apetit!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:38 AM

PV dining isn't particularly late. Dinner service starting around 5 and ending by 10 or so. My experience is all the more casual places, so not certain if the fine dining restaurants serve a bit later, anyone else?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM

I would agree w/Suze I always had dinner around 7:30 -8:00 Of course if you want to cath the sunsets you have to go early before it gets dark.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Try the Happy Crab - wonderful food and service. That was 3 years ago, so hopefully it's still there.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Also, if you don't want to bother with making reservations showing up right as dinner service begins has worked well for me.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:49 PM

has anyone eaten at El Dolce Vita, an italian restaurant?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Yes I have and I would not recommend it, If I remember correctly it is right on the main road and the fumes from the cars carry right on into the restaurant.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
dp

Though I've heard many people rave about it, I'll never go again. My one visit was enough. The menu's "imported Italian sausage" on the pizza was weiners and the service became very rude when we didn't rush through dinner and get out (though we were still buying drinks).