Reload this Page >

2 Weeks in Costa Rica in Dec.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Julia

I have some questions because I'm having some trouble deciding exactly where to go in CR,how long to stay, and how to get there. Plus, I'm trying to stay on a budget. We're going to CR from Dec 18-31. <BR><BR>Here is what we're looking for: volcano, hot springs,beautiful nature, rain forest, birds & animals, beaches. Basically, the best CR can offer in two weeks without necessarily landing in the most touristy places. Here are the choices so far (though we<BR>haven't quite figured out when to drive or fly):<BR><BR>--Rincon de la Veija (possibly instead of Arenal -- is<BR>this a good idea?)<BR><BR>--Osa Peninsula (Corcovado Natl Park)(what's the best way to get there?)<BR><BR>--Carribean area<BR><BR>--Cerro Chirripo (is this a good place to hike?)<BR><BR>--last few days at festival in San Jose (around 12/31,<BR>seems that there is a festival. Is this still true and how is it?)<BR><BR>We aren't sure how long to spend in each place, assuming this isn't too many places. We are planning on renting a car, though are open to 1 or 2 flights, if necessary, as long as can keep costs down.<BR><BR>Can you please advise on above destinations, how to get there, or give other suggestions. Thank you so<BR>much!<BR><BR>Julia<BR><BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Sean

I went to costa rica for a month this summer and a few weeks the previous march. You are in for a great trip!<BR><BR>Renting a car is definitely the way to go, make sure you have an excellent map though since it's very easy to get lost and end up on backroads that are too narrow to even turn around on. Buses are pretty reliable and inexpensive also if you plan on covering a large distance.<BR><BR>Although the country is pretty small you may have some trouble going to all of the places you mentioned since they are all pretty far from each other and you only have 2 weeks.<BR><BR>I'd highly recommend spending a few days in puerto viejo on the carribean side. It's a very different culture than the rest of the country. Steer clear of limon though since it's dirty and not very safe. La costa de papito is a great place to stay just outside of town with private cabinas, good ventilation, almost no mosquitos, and very comfotable beds (greencoast.com/papito.htm).<BR><BR>The La Fortuna/Arenal area is amazing but kind of expensive, if you are trying to stay away from the tourist areas I hear Rincon de la Veija is a great place to visit although I've never been there myself.<BR><BR>I've only been as far south as Domincal and it gets pretty rural down there. The roads south of Domincal to the Osa Peninsula aren't very good. Your best bet is probably to fly into Golfito and take a boat to the peninsula. <BR><BR>Instead of the Osa Peninsula you may want to check out the Nicoya Penninsula since it's closer to the rest of your destinations. Samara has one of the most beautiful beaches in the country and I've never met anyone who didn't love it there. Farther south on the peninsula is Montezuma, a fun, secluded hippy type town. At the tip of the peninsula about an hour from Montezuma is mal pais and santa teresa beautiful beaches, secluded, plenty of wildlife and a nature reserve. Mal Pais was my personal favorite place I've visited in costa rica, but that's also because I loved the surfing there (great place to learn if want to try something that could just change your life!) I hear the coast road on the peninsula is pretty sketchy but definitely driveable in the dry season but when we went we took the ferry from puntarenas. <BR><BR>Lastly I'd recommend Monteverde and the cloud forest. Due to the high elevation the clouds move in under you and you are looking out at a sea of clouds. The flora and fauna in the area is amazing. And don't forget to try the milkshakes at the creamery, they are great.<BR><BR>Take a canopy tour, and a white water rafting tour while you are there and you won't be disappointed. Driving around the northern part of the country is easy and everything is fairly close if you have a car.<BR><BR>Be careful when you are in san jose since theft is rediculous, I got a bag stolen when it was 2 feet away from me at the bus station and I was looking the other direction. Though violent crime is rare lots of ticos will rob you blind if you give them the chance. <BR>Never accept the first price they give you for anything, you can always bargain (easier if you speak some spanish)<BR><BR>My trips to costa rica were based mostly around surfing so my favorite places may be a little bit different but we tried to do and see everything and had a great time as I'm sure you will no matter where you decide to go.<BR>pura vida!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Julia

Thanks for your advice. Now I don't know if to go to Osa, or take your advice and go to Nicoya instead. <BR><BR>do you know what the most affordable car rental agency is? do you recommend taking a few flights? Or just drive to the destinations you've recommended? boy, this is a tough decision!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Iza

Julia, I think you should be able to stick to your original plan in the time frame you indicated.<BR>Rincon de la Vieja is rather remote and less developed than Arenal. You will not see an active volcano there but a lot of volcanic activity (hot springs, bubbling mud etc.). It is definitely not as crowded as Arenal. I would say 2-3 nights there would work fine. You'll probably end up driving there as there are no good flights (although you may be able to take a flight to Liberia and then arrange with the hotel/lodge you will be staying at for transportation).<BR>Osa Penninsula is not to be missed if you like nature (both flora and fauna there are spectacular). It is difficult to get to and the best way is to fly to Golfito or Puerto Jimenez. Most lodges there offer transporation from those towns. 3 nights there would be the minimum.<BR>Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the Carribean coast or Cerro Chirripo.<BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Julia

Hi Izza, <BR>thank you for your advice. Let me ask you this: is the volcano at Rincon all that much further to drive to than Arenal? Which of the two do you prefer, and why?<BR><BR>Also, I was thinking the drive down the Coast to Osa might be nice, and then fly back from Osa to San Jose. Do you think this could work? Will I be able to drop off a rental car in Osa?<BR><BR>finally, which rental car company (as far as most affordable in high season) do you recommend? Thank you so much!<BR>Julia

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Iza

Julia,<BR>We used Dollar which was least expensive at the time (during green season). We had a good experience with them, no problems.<BR><BR>As to Arenal v. Rincon de la Vieja: We spent 2 days at Arenal last year and took a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja area during our trip 2 years ago. Arenal is more built up and touristy, Rincon is more remote and less crowded. However, if you are lucky with the weather, seeing Arenal erupt is once in a lifetime experience which you will not get at Rincon. Rincon is great for hiking, horse back riding but not very developed so your accommodation choices will be somewhat limited. Also we liked the hot springs at Tabacon (somewhat busy and touristy but still very enjoyable). There is a place at Rincon where they have some hot springs, volcanic mud treatments and a natural spa (search the web for Borinquen Hotel - that website also gives you a good idea of what the surrounding area is like), but it is nothing like the hot springs at Tabacon.<BR>Driving times: SJ to Arenal is 3-4 hours, SJ to Rincon de la Vieja 5-6 hours (probably closer to 6 than 5).<BR><BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Iza

Julia,<BR>I had to post my reply in two pieces, I guess it was too long. Here is the rest:<BR><BR>As to driving to Osa, I hear it is not that easy and I am not sure if you can actually go along the coast. I seem to recall someone saying that the roads along the coast south of Dominical are terrible. But I know that you can arrange with your rental company to pick up your car on Osa (they actually fly in a driver who drives the car back to SJ - how they make any money on that is beyond me!). I talked to some people who made such arrangements for Osa and Manuel Antonio. This way you don't have to have a car on Osa (you really don't need it there) and can fly back to SJ.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Iza

Here is the website for Borinquen Hotel:<BR>http://www.borinquenresort.com/resort.html<BR>We did not stay there so I don't know how the rooms are but we did get an all over hot volcanic mud treatment there which was fun.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Jonathan

Julia, I hope you have time to make all of these arrangements, seeing as though the time you plan to go is the height of peak season in costa rica. Please take this into account. I'd act quickly if I were you. Also you may not have the same choice of accomodations. I wish you luck and safe travel.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Julia

Hi Izza and Jonathan, <BR>thank you for your advice. I know, I need to make reservations ASAP. I ended up renting a 4WD from Tricolor for $340/week! So that's set. And I'm planning on staying at Pearl of the Osa in Osa Penin (any comments about that), though I'm still trying to figure out how to drive there -- the hotel says it is possible. The only place I still don't know where to stay is in Arenal, which is holding up making other reservations. Can you pls advise on where to stay that is affordable for people on a budget, because Borinquen Hotel may be too expensive, though thank you for the suggestion. <BR><BR>Julia

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Iza

Julia,<BR>if you have decided to go to Arenal instead of Rincon de la Vieja, check Arenal Paraiso out (http://www.arenalparaiso.decostarica.co.cr/). We stayed there for a couple of nights last year. It was not the greatest but clean and totally acceptable. They have great volcano views (we only got a glimpse of it due to clouds and rain). They also have nice pools with naturally heated water and good breakfast (try the omlets - very tasty eggs). The restaurant is not that good for dinner but you can go elsewhere.<BR>At Rincon de la Vieja, Rincon de la Vieja Lodge may be an option for you (we did not stay there but had lunch there). Very rustic in a nice area. They have a great canopy tour nearby.