Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   2 days in Rio-Must See? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/2-days-in-rio-must-see-534266/)

halsa Jun 4th, 2005 09:34 PM

2 days in Rio-Must See?

I will be in Rio for 2 days in early July. Can anyone please tell me the "must see's" in Rio? ALso, I will be flying Varig airlines, has anyone used them? Have you been happy with the service? Has anyone stayed at the Mar Ipanema Hotel in Rio? Does it have good reviews? Any help you may have would be most appreciated. Thank you!

therealrio Jun 5th, 2005 10:13 AM

Too bad you have only a short time in Rio, but with only 2 days you need to see the statue of christ, sugar loaf, stroll along Ipanema and Copa beach during the day. If you are adventurous, go Hang Gliding, have a drink at a kiosk and relax while watching all the beautiful people.

Varig Airlines is fine, arguably the best BRazilian airline. Never had a problem with them.

Mar Ipanema hotel is about 1 block from the beach in Ipanema near posto 10. Great location as the best beach spot is betweem posto 9 and 10. THere are also plenty of shops on the same street. another option.

Hope you have a great time!

Scott

jcasale Jun 5th, 2005 02:13 PM

I second the "musts" from therealrio. And definitely too bad you have only 2 days, but enjoy them. One problem we had with Varig (aside from the fact that they were late with no explanation) was that they changed our seat assignments for no apparent reason.

One other advantage of where you are staying - the kiosks on the beach right there make one of the best caipirinhas in Rio - have one for me!

halsa Jun 5th, 2005 06:24 PM

Thank you "therealrio and jcasale" for your comments. I will definitely put those must sees on my list. I was wondering what are caipirinhas? I will definitely try it since it comes so highly recommended!

MelissaHI Jun 5th, 2005 08:26 PM

Actually, if you have to choose your sights, I would take Christo Redento (Corcovado) over Sugarloaf. We went to see Corcovado first, and you can see Sugarloaf down below, so it seemed anticlimactic to go to Sugarloaf.

Caipirinhas are lime-flavored drinks with Cachaca, a sugar based rum. Do <b>NOT</b> drink too many too fast! These are so easy to drink and you can get wiped out pretty fast. I'm not a lightweight and I got knocked out with four caipirinhas. If you're not into alcohol, try a fruit smoothie made with Amazon fruits like acai, umbu, and maybe bacuri or capuacu. (Stay away from Jaca--yuck.) Please note that Americans have imported the acai/guarana smoothies and those can be found at Jamba Juice, but I think the acai products are better in Rio :)

If you happen to be there on a Sunday and you have time, the Hippie Fair is kind of fun.

How about &quot;must eats?&quot; Feijoada is supposed to be the Brazilian national dish.....usually served only on certain days of the week. However, you can get it at Casa de Feijoada any day of the week. Another thing I really liked was the banana pizza (almost any pizza stand) for a snack. And liguica (Portuguese sausage) is on everything....pizzas, pastries, even on garilic fries at Manuel &amp; Joaquim. I also am a big fan of Porcao, a churrascaria chain in Rio with all you can eat meats and a salad bar. Yeah, there are churrascarias in America, but they seem kind of lame by comparison.

Also on Rua Vicinius de Moraes (named after the father of bossa nova, the composer of &quot;The Girl from Ipanema&quot;), there is a music store called <b>Toca do Vicinius.</b> Once a week they have free concerts in the street at 8 PM--you need to check with your concierge to check with the store to find out what day.

I actually had a bad experience with Varig, they accidentally cancelled my reservation out of Rio so I was stranded for 2 days. Then the flight to Sao Paulo was delayed for an hour and a half for no explanation, which caused me to miss my flight home (stranded again another day) and my luggage went on to Los Angeles without me. However, the customer service guys in Sao Paulo were just terrific, so I do have to vouch for them on that note.

Have a great trip!

jcasale Jun 6th, 2005 09:03 AM

Glad you mentioned Feijoada - that is definitely a must. And don't be afraid to try something at the beach kiosks that you aren't sure about. We had wanted to get some burgers one day and they were out. The guy there didn't speak English and just motioned that what he had in the case was what was left. I had no idea what they were, but there was something that looked like a turnover of some kind and I thought from the sign might have ham in it. I got one and it was fabulous - sort of a ham and cheese in a pastry pocket. Wish I had gotten two, but I was alreayd not fitting into my pants :-)!

MelissaHI Jun 6th, 2005 09:32 PM

Oh, those savory pastries were good, weren't they? My friend was heavily into the little snacks he called &quot;fried yummies.&quot; I also ate from vendors in the streets--grilled shrimp, meat sticks with farofa, corn on the cob.

Dondiega Jun 7th, 2005 03:54 AM

Beach food, there are ladies roaming the beach with coolers on their back selling sandwiches. Tuna or egg or cheese and other types, if you are sitting on the beach and they pass by try it you won't be sorry, I eat them all the time and they're cheap. Some of these ladies are not young and have been doing this for years in Copacabana. The sanwiches are cheap one time there were some poor boys around and I bought them some sandwiches and they were very appreciative. Also there are some guys who sell fruit salad. This fruit salad is to die for, I still think of it now, so fresh, so good right on the beach they come up to you and its the best, I usually have at least 2 when the stop by. And of course all along the beach are barracas little stands that sell drinks beers water sometimes caiparinhas and food, get what you want. One time I was sitting in front of the Marriott hotel talking to some Americans on the beach and they told me they were afraid to eat the beach food, they went back to the hotel and got a sandwich, this isn't necessary as it is all safe and good.

Dondiega Jul 5th, 2007 05:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhR_...ed&amp;search=

gypsyluce Jul 5th, 2007 07:04 PM

hi, it all depends on how much you want to do in those 2 days, what your interests are and what days you'll be in town. Def sugar loaf and corcovado, get up to corcovado early as many tourists around and the later you go, longer waits for train up and espec. back down. You could go to the historical centre, if you like history and seeing a bit more of the city, sugar loaf is great at sunset, especially in the weather we've been having, about 5:30pm. Check out the beaches, ipanema and copacabana, have a drink at the fort between both these beaches( 10-8, but not open monday) or a drink at azul marinho at beginning of ipanema beach, the only bar right on beach pavement side. Great views. for eating, gula gula near end of ipanema, zaza bistro tropical, cafeina for lunch or snacks on farme de amoedo, good for people watching, the sunday market in ipanema if you're around. Porcao in ipanema is great, about US$30 for all you can eat, drinks and desert extra, great value,
copacabana restaurans are more touristy, oh also doce delicia nice too. Good quality souvenirs from all over brasil in shop of hotel everest on anibal street. If you go to centre I recommend getting a guide. Try the feijoada if you like meat and beans, great combinatio, terzetto nearly next door, on market square is great italina, not cheap but great. Check out juices and ice creams.
Mar Ipanema should be fine, try and get room facing the side or on corner, rooms facing the front on visconde street can be a bit noisy. Good breakfast. If you need any more help or want recommendations for guide or hang-gliding instructors just shout. Costs around R$240, can be filmed or photographed. Also have botanical gardens. Live music in lapa, especially recommend rio scenarium, depends which nights you're in town, go and back by Taxi. Have fun,