2 14- yr old boys and moms on a Feb get-away

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 14- yr old boys and moms on a Feb get-away

Two moms are heading for a traditional 8th grade child/mom get-away for 4-5 days in February. We did Paris and then London with the older sisters. Where would 14-yr old boys like to go? safe, fun and not too expensive. Europe seems too far away. Costa Rica? help! thanks....
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM

What a great tradition? How about N. Honduras? Here's a link to our trip story from last summer; we had nearly a month but maybe there will be some ideas there for you (you may have to copy and paste the link if it isn't all "live"):

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...entid=0&from=1

Have a blast, whatever you decide!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM

I recommend Arenal in Costa Rica. There's so much to do -- zip lines, horseback riding, rainforest hikes, wildlife viewing, caves, etc. I've taken my son and his friend several times and they love it there.

Sandy
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Lucky you, it took my then 17 yr. old son to tell us "Costa Rica is "Out of this world". I said to him, would you go to Costa Rica with us 50 yr. olds, and he said "if that is how I get back there - yes". We, did, with he, then 18 and his sister then, 21 we went to the Pacific Coast for a different experience than he had on the Carribean side and they loved it. There is surfing in Tamarindo. We stayed at the Capitan Suizo and the kids went to town but preferred the Capitan for entertainment (just sitting around the bar talking to Melvin, Alvardo, ect. and just having fun.) This is a safe environment, they asked us IF our son was old enough to drink, they did not assume. But no matter where you go, you and your children will LOVE Costa Rica.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM

I'd take them to Manual Antonio National Park / Quepos on the Pacific Coast.
Great Beaches and hikes in the park, lots of monkeys and other wildlife, a wide variety of accomodations depending on your budget (we are going in February and staying at the Tulemar bungalows for the second time), boogie boarding, sea kayaking, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure they have zip lines (we did that in Monteverde). You can go horseback riding, on mountain bike tours, deep sea fishing, rafting, etc in this area. Your 5 days will fly by.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Tamarindo Beach. Stay at Hote Duria. Right on beach, no riptide, 2-3 foot swells, excellent surf lessons from Iguana Surf. Been there twice.

For mountain/cloud forest experience I recommend Arenal. We stayed at Montana de Fuego. Dead center view of volcano fireworks. Hanging briges. Class 3-4 white water rafting thru Rios Tropicales.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Costa Rica is perfect. Enough to do that both generations can do. I, personally, loved traveling with my teens there and am going back this cmas.

I'd pick either Arenal (what I've done) or the MA, probably not both. Rafting on the Pacuare is a not to be missed opportunity if you like rafting too.Zipline too....Guess I like this because everyone can stay together and have fun (the point).
On the other hand, beach is good too. But I would think there would be more chance you would separate into age groups. Not the point of sharing a vacation, right?
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Millie, so true. The things we did together as a family (day trips to Rincon de la Vieja or horseback riding at Los Inocentes) were priceless and I guarantee none of us will ever forget. Our kids were all upper teens and twenties at the time. It's been 5 years. They still talk about it all them and remember nearly every detail. The beach times were, of course, as you said, fun, but not exactly family time.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Okay--I'm losing it. . .should read "they still talk about it all the time". . . .
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Mexico's Costalegre!
M