Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   1st Trip to Puerto Vallarta - Sickness (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/1st-trip-to-puerto-vallarta-sickness-524135/)

CaliFoodie Apr 25th, 2005 02:57 PM

1st Trip to Puerto Vallarta - Sickness

Should I bring any medication in case of "Montezuma's Revenge"? If so, any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Dude Apr 25th, 2005 04:11 PM

Everything is availible in Mexico if you need it.

suze Apr 25th, 2005 04:16 PM

I always carry a few Imodium tablets.

Rarely have needed them in many trips to PV, but it's not something you want to be dashing out to the pharmacia for!

I only take them if I need to get on a bus or a plane rode in a hurtful condition. Otherwise I believe it is better to let nature take its course.

suze Apr 25th, 2005 04:16 PM

ride (not rode)

talavera_timbre Apr 25th, 2005 04:59 PM

I take Pepto prior to meals---to coat my stomach---just in case.

beena Apr 25th, 2005 11:26 PM

When my husband and I were there about 5 yrs ago, I go it but my husband didn't (he has an iron stomach!). He had to go to a local pharmacy and get me some little tabs to take, which did help but if I remember right, they also knocked me out and I slept alot. Of course, that was better than running to the bathroom every hr or so. I had it both ways. We narrowed it down to a pretty nice restaurant where I had among other things, a salad and a frozen blended drink so it was prob one of those. And I thought I was being SO careful-hah! I would carry some stuff with you just in case since it's not a big deal to do.

butsey Apr 26th, 2005 05:07 AM

Just got back 2 weeks ago We always get Cipro from the Dr before we go just in case This time 2 of our friends were in bed for 24hrs not vomiting or anything else just nauseous and slight fever after 3 or 4 Cipros they were fine the next day, we always take it just in case kills the bacteria in your stomache. We didn't need it but they did.

ParrotMom Apr 26th, 2005 05:44 AM

If you avoid drinking too many pina coladas and fruit drinks you won't have a problem. It took us several years to find that the coconut in many of the drinks is a laxative.. Yes, I do take Immodium with us just in case and took Pepto Bismo as a precaution, but we rarely have a problem.

suze Apr 26th, 2005 06:13 AM

I must kindly disagree with ParrotMom, it's not just coconut or fruit drinks and you can't possibly guarantee people won't have a problem.

When you have 'tourista' you can get very sick, lasting from one day to several. It is bad bacteria in your stomach and causes any of a number of symptoms (diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, vomiting). Believe me, you know it once you've had it.

I do avoid raw vegetables, salads, fruits that can't be peeled. I am also wary of certain dairy products (a bad experience with a creamy pasta sauce one trip). Food handling is important (my friend had the worst I've seen yet from eating roast chicken that had been reheated late at night from a stand).

While I think it's easier to arrive prepared, as Dude said at the top, everything you'd need is available at one of the many pharmacies in PV, and maybe even a better medication that what you'd think to use from home.

Little_Man Apr 26th, 2005 06:56 AM

I agree with Suze. I got it last time in PV, and last time in PDC, and it wasn't from drinking. Cipro from the local Mexican pharmacy took care of it immediately!

CaliFoodie Apr 26th, 2005 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the great advice!

Ag3046 Apr 27th, 2005 09:19 AM

I don't know why you wouldn't bring a little mini-health kit with you- Peptobismol, Immodium, Advil, Aspirins, some bandaids. Of course, there are pharmacies there, but doesn't it just make more sense to have some stuff on hand to take in your hotel room, rather than having to go out if you don't feel well?

butsey Apr 27th, 2005 10:48 AM

LIke Suze and Frankie said it's Bacteria and only Cipro kills it it's an antibiotic for that sort of thing you only take it if you need it. Just be careful I never worry about it as long as I eat and drink in nice places but you do need to be careful!!!

cosmosmama Apr 27th, 2005 01:34 PM

Two quick things: the diarrhea you get from bacterial infections is adaptive--it flushes the bacteria out--so be careful popping Immodium as it can counter-productive. Second, if you are going to take Cipro, be sure to take a probiotic along with it to build back up the bacteria that are supposed to be in your gut since you'll be killing them all off with the Cipro.

Carolred Jun 3rd, 2005 12:23 AM

I agree with Suze on recommendations to minimize chances of sickness.

However, no matter where I travel, I always bring enough Immodium or generic for a week. Last time in Mexico I did not use it once. I have used it lots in Europe and NA.

Same goes for allergy meds. Bring some non-prescription antihistamines just in case you meet something that bugs you. Actually, it is the best meds for insect bites!

cookbound Jun 3rd, 2005 04:34 AM

Hi Califoodie,

We were in Puerto Vallarta last spring and had a wonderful time. No worries, there is a Walmart there and anything else you might need just like here in the US. All the restaurants and hotels use purified water, not an issue anymore these days.

Have a wonderful time, it's a awesome place, lots of fun and very friendly place.

Annabel Jun 3rd, 2005 06:59 AM

I don't know if this is true, but I read that you should start taking acidolophus (sp?) before and during a trip. It is live bacteria (the good kind) that live in your intestines that fight off the bad bacteria that make you sick. I don't know if it works, but it is worth a try.

I got sick in Belize and the only thing that worked is good old Pepto! I always take some with me. I was also told by my Dr. that taking Immodium is NOT always the best as the bacteria has to flush out of your system. Pepto and fluids is your best bet.

suze Jun 3rd, 2005 07:07 AM

I save Immodium only for emergencies like if you have to get on a bus or a plane when you're in a bad way.

butsey Jun 3rd, 2005 07:35 AM

I tried Acidopholous one yr didn't work in fact was very sick until I took the antibiotic the dr prescribed. I think in 16yrs I was only really sick the one time the 2nd time was a virus I had from the States.

nonstop Jun 3rd, 2005 08:19 PM

I have been to central Mexico several times and have yet to be sick. I always take the acidophilus tablets before I leave. I can't say they work but I have yet to be sick. Also, it is very important to keep your hands washed with soap and water to avoid picking up any "rouge" bacteria. I only drink purified water and am careful about where I eat. I never eat off the open stands on the street-it is a recipe for disaster. However, I have known people that do and have been lucky in that they never got sick. Lastly, in my opinion I think it is wise to have hepatits shots (and tetnus) if a person is going to do much traveling outside of the U.S. I am knot sure everyone will agree with that but it gives me more peace of mind.